Need help, possibly defective PSU

Bob94

Honorable
May 11, 2012
I bought some parts for my first build and when i connected the PSU to the motherboard it wouldn't power on. Its a Cooler Master Silent pro hybrid 850w. I tried plugging the psu into the outlet itself and nothing happened. I tried a paperclip method with the motherboard power cord connected to the psu and i put the paperclip into the green and black pins. I tried different black pins and nothing happend. I will probably have to return it to newegg but do you guys know any other way to check if its broken? Because i would hate to return it and find out the problem was the cable or i did something wrong and idk if anything else is defective. Also for the cpu power supply it says ATX12v1 where i plugged that cable into. The cable i used was a a 4+4 pin.

Solution
normally if the paperclip trick doesnt work then the psu is faulty

is there an on / off switch on the psu?

usually says 1/0

if so make sure its on

if its on then try a new fuse in the plug

if none of that helps the psu is probably faulty

Bob94

Honorable
May 11, 2012

Yeah there is an on and off switch. I tried it with both. I tried two different outlets, but i only tried the paperclip thing on one. If its broken, do i contact Newegg or cooler master?

Bob94

Honorable
May 11, 2012

I will return it thanks. iin the vents i can see some white glue thing on some of the parts is that supposed to be there?

yes i believe so

dont know how it works in the usa but some uk suppliers will test and if its not faulty may charge a test fee or a restocking fee

or a charge to post it back to you if its your mistake and its ok

and others dont bother and just replace it

so if you know some one who could double check it for you may be an idea to do so

rinval

Honorable
May 17, 2012

id say the glue probably is not supposed to be there but then again my not hurt anything. ive opened up and worked on OZ power supplies with that same white glue over everything and everythign worked fine till it was hit by a surge and needed an internal fuse replacement.

Bob94

Honorable
May 11, 2012
Thanks for the help guys. i'll return it, hopefully they replace it and don't say its my fault. Or nothing else is defective. Do you guys know anywhere i can store the motherboard until then? Can i put it in a box cause i already attached cpu and fan.

The glue is supposed to be there.
Newegg gives you thirty days, after that you have to deal with the manufacturer, either way could end up taking a couple of weeks
If you're not strapped for cash I find the best way to deal with them is to return the item for a refund and just order another, lessens the wait

looking on google it seems like the white stuff is silicone glue

to stop coil whine or resonating

might still be an idea to have some one double check the psu just in case you are missing something

do plugs have fuses in them in the usa that are user changable?

No

Yep
We just get one of these
pwrcord.jpg

rinval

Honorable
May 17, 2012

i have seen those before but that was like 10 years ago on an old amd k6 133 system. i havnt seen one since .

Right back at ya ;)