Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Question about a Video Card and Skyrim

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 3, 2012 2:34:46 PM

I wondering what video cards are capable of playing Skyrim on the highest settings, and at 1080P.
No EyeFinity, no 3D, and most likely no AA due to the monitor being 24" and 1080P.

My desktop is an i3-2100 with 8GB of RAM. Is a 6850 capable of what I posted above?

PS. This is purely an interest thing right now, as I need to upgrade my monitor before I upgrade my PC :lol: 
February 3, 2012 2:40:13 PM

SingingThroughTheStorm said:
I wondering what video cards are capable of playing Skyrim on the highest settings, and at 1080P.
No EyeFinity, no 3D, and most likely no AA due to the monitor being 24" and 1080P.

My desktop is an i3-2100 with 8GB of RAM. Is a 6850 capable of what I posted above?

PS. This is purely an interest thing right now, as I need to upgrade my monitor before I upgrade my PC :lol: 

my friend plays skyrim maxed with a gtx 460, but his resolution is only 1280x1024.
since it the 6850 are somewhat comparable, you'll probably want something more like a 6950.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 3, 2012 4:11:39 PM

I play on mostly highest settings on my 560Ti (comparable to the 6950) at 1920x1080. I think I have AA and anisotropic filtering at x8/x8 rather than x16/x8, and it runs great. Shouldn't have issues with a GPU in that range or better (depending on what you want to spend).

A 6850 isn't going to be enough, plain and simple.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
February 3, 2012 4:16:57 PM

I would stick with a 6950 instead of a 6850 as the minimum.

That being said, the processor makes a huge difference in Skyrim performance, I don't know if your i3 will cut it.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 3, 2012 4:20:10 PM

Raiddinn said:
I would stick with a 6950 instead of a 6850 as the minimum.

That being said, the processor makes a huge difference in Skyrim performance, I don't know if your i3 will cut it.


I was thinking about that too. The game will probably be CPU limited, but I haven't really looked at the Skyrim benchmarks.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
February 3, 2012 4:21:31 PM

I have looked at tests and seen a lot of times video cards are bottlenecked by processors in this game.
m
0
l
a c 256 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
February 3, 2012 5:15:30 PM

Skrim is very CPU intensive. I run at basically max settings with my 2600K 4.5Ghz GTX460 1GB combo but with some of the eye candy turned down.

" This game clearly relies on CPU power, and you need a Sandy Bridge-based Core i3 at 3 GHz or a Phenom II at 3.5 GHz to provide a minimum 30 FPS. Bear in mind that we're using the ultra detail setting here, and processing requirements drop significantly as you start stepping back. So, you can make due with a less potent chip when you dial in detail options appropriately. "

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/skyrim-performance-...

m
0
l
a c 196 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
February 3, 2012 5:52:14 PM

I haven't played it a lot yet, but I'm using a 970BE @3.8GHz and an Asus 560Ti with everything on Ultra and it has been smooth so far, although honestly I don't know my actual FPS.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 3, 2012 10:36:04 PM

Is there a benchmarking tool within Skyrim? I have an i5-2500K right now, but am trading down to an i3-2120 to pick up some cash that I need ATM (and the i3s are more than capable gaming chips). I am interested in comparing the performance between the two.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
February 3, 2012 10:55:59 PM

what is your power supply?

you may have to upgrade that as well if you are upgrading your graphics card
m
0
l
a c 256 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
February 3, 2012 11:08:52 PM

boiler1990 said:
Is there a benchmarking tool within Skyrim? I have an i5-2500K right now, but am trading down to an i3-2120 to pick up some cash that I need ATM (and the i3s are more than capable gaming chips). I am interested in comparing the performance between the two.



Check out the link I posted above. Great Skyrim CPU comparison.
m
0
l
February 3, 2012 11:19:02 PM

I dont know... With no aa maybe... cause on bf3 i read that i would need a amd 6970 to run it at max at 1080p... even members on tomshardware... i am running it on ultra at 1080p on my laptop no aa (piped down version of gtx 560m) with really amazing graphics. Which is on par with gts 450... just try playing the game with out a upgrade
m
0
l
February 4, 2012 12:47:45 AM

CX430 V2 Power Supply, which seems to be high enough output to support a 6850 AFAIK.

I don't think the i3 would by any means bottleneck in Skyrim. Skyrim doesn't seem to benefit from more cores, and the i3 delivers great per core performance. AFAIK
m
0
l
!