My expensive desktop is slower than cheap laptop!

courtney_shea

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
Hello,
I am confused. I have a 2010 HP Elite desktop computer, (1-7 processor, 9 GBs RAM, windows 7) hooked up to a broadband modem. I have a wireless router for my laptops, but my desktop is wired. Now, my friend just bought a inexpensive Compaq laptop (single processor, 2 GBs RAM, window 7) and it's running through the same wireless router I have in my house. When I try to download a file, say 80 MBs, it takes my computer 5-7 minutes..she can download the same file in 1 minute. We have the same ISP and have the same plan (speed). Why can she download so much faster? Also, when I am loading a page with a lot of pictures, like 80-100 jpgs, hers will load every one, while I will have some that I have to open in a separate tab. Can anyone tell me why this is?

Solution

Yeah many downtown type areas have much older wiring that just can not handle the newer connection speeds so that might be the cause but I'd still run several tests on speedtest.com at different times of the day for a week or 2 and then compare the speed you are getting to what you are paying for and if it is not...
SO she is in a different location than you or using the same connection ? (you say same ISP and same wireless router you have in your house - but is hers in a different house in a different area ? If she is in a different location the wiring in her area may be newer allowing better rates. (have you tried connecting her laptop at your home ? ) -- Have you run any connection speed tests to see if you are getting the speed you are paying for (ie. speedtest.com) - there could be a line quality issue slowing your speed down or it could also be a wiring problem in the connection to your desktop (ie. a small break in the line somewhere) are there any other systems on the same line as your desktop (ie. is your desktop connected directly to the router or are there switches involved ?)

courtney_shea

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011

My computer is connected via an ethernet cable from the wireless router.

courtney_shea

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011

Yes, she lives outside of town, while I live in downtown. I forgot to mention that. Thank you for the speedtest.com info, I will try that out and then ask her over to try out her computer at my house. My computer is connected straight to the wireless router via an ethernet cable. That was the only way I could set it up. My modem only has one ethernet and the router uses it. I actually wasn't aware I could use an USB...

Yeah many downtown type areas have much older wiring that just can not handle the newer connection speeds so that might be the cause but I'd still run several tests on speedtest.com at different times of the day for a week or 2 and then compare the speed you are getting to what you are paying for and if it is not close then call the ISP and see what they can do to remedy it or get a deduction in the cost to reflect the actual service you are getting. (assuming you are getting less and not that she is getting more than she is paying for !! LOL) Figure they are not going to do anything unless you bug them but if you are not getting or they can not provide the speed of service you are paying for then you shouldn't have to pay full price for it.

Solution