Graphics terribly slow with new graphics card

caltrop

Honorable
May 18, 2012
I have an older computer that was unable to handle newer graphics, so I bought and installed an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460. I also took the opportunity to put in 8GB of RAM (thinking this would speed up dwarf fortress a bit). The Dwarf Fortress framerate isn't much improved and I can't even play From Dust because it's so laggy. I am in serious doubt of my computer knowledge at this point.

Can anyone tell me where my performance bottleneck is happening?

CPU: Intel Pentium D 2.00GHz
Motherboard: Dell model 0GC375

I know the CPU sucks, but I don't know anything about motherboards or their role in performance.

Is this definitely my problem?
How can I go about selecting a new motherboard and CPU that will work with my GTX460?

digitalhardware

Honorable
May 10, 2012
The CPU, from the specifications you have listed, is the bottleneck. Even my AMD Phenom II x6 1055t will bottleneck a GTX 560 TI (not too much). So, get a new CPU, preferably Intel (2500k for example), or an Amd Phenom 1055t+ and overclock. Or, you can overclock that CPU to around 3.2+ GHz.

That is a prehistoric CPU :D.

rajaawad23

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
your CPU is bottlenecking your graphics card.
try updating the drivers for the graphics card, update direct x. if you have not reinstalled windows in the past 2 years then do so.
you can try ccleaner http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner this could help clear junk on your system
if you want you can upgrade you CPU and motherboard (I would do so) to a core 2 duo or quad ...
your motherboard does not support core 2 duo or quad.

GI_JONES

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006

I'm suprised your cpu bottlenecks that card, my phenomiix4975 doesnt bottleneck my 560Ti448 core at all

He has an OEM computer so he's going to be limited to socket 775. That means no I5 or any newer processers. Also OEM computers are very limited in what can be upgraded..He's also not going to be able to overclock because almost all OEM computers have a locked BIOS that doesn't allow for overclocking.

Caltrop I would look at getting a new CPU but as I said because it's OEM you're going to be very limited in what CPU's your motherboard will accept. You're also stuck with a 775 socket CPU which limits it even more. I would start to really consider getting a new computer.

You need a new system. Dells are notorious for not allowing much upgrade room for GPUs or CPUs.

One other issue is probably your PSU. The Dells PSUs are designed around the system so they will only put out whats needed. Most likley you are pushing maybe a 350W PSU, well below the recommendd PSU for a GTX460.

As for a mobo and CPU, you will need a mobo, CPU, RAM and PSU as you are probably running DDR2 and all new mobos are DDR3.

I say a Core i5 2400 (no need for K as you probably wont overclock), a Asus P8Z68-V or P8Z77-V, a 500W Corsair PSU and 8GB of Corsair vengance RAM. Also a new case would be a good idea.

rajaawad23

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
his motherboard accepts pentium 4 and pentium D CPUS only but he juts bought 8GB DDR2 RAM so he could get a core 2 quad system or core 2 duo, or AMD2+ board with a phenom II or athlon II to not let his ram go to waste.
and phenom II is a superb CPU and as mentioned ealier a new PSU is a good idea.

rajaawad23

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
his motherboard accepts pentium 4 and pentium D CPUS only but he juts bought 8GB DDR2 RAM so he could get a core 2 quad system or core 2 duo, or AMD2+ board with a phenom II or athlon II to not let his ram go to waste.
and phenom II is a superb CPU and as mentioned ealier a new PSU is a good idea.

caltrop

Honorable
May 18, 2012

You're right, I would very much like to use the 8GB of RAM I just bought. If there is a motherboard out there still on DDR2 that won't bottleneck, I'll stick with that. You mention a lot of good stuff here, any specific suggestions for motherboard and/or CPU?

As for PSU: I have the Dell XPS 600 which (supposedly) has a 650W PSU. The inside is a mass of plastic covers so I can't get a direct look at the PSU without tearing some stuff out, though installing a new motherboard will take care of that problem.

There are ample case fans, so I was hoping to use the same case, fans, and PSU.

atikkur

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
fyi, From Dust game indeed is laggy,, it is capped at 30fps, bad porting game. and your cpu indeed is so old. upgrade it to c2d E8400 or c2q would be enough, but for best result is to get a new platform. i3 or i5 sandybridge is more than enough for gaming.

rarichorig66

Honorable
May 19, 2012
Yep, the system cannot handle the bandwidth of your new gpu. You are hitching a GPU transit bus to a 4 cylinder gas engine out of a honda civic......... and then driving it on a road barely wide enough for 2 of the civics to pass. You are better off getting a new Mobo, i5+ model cpu, your memory sticks are also dated so 4gb there, does your hard drive use a flat ribbon or square cable. If it is a flat ribbon, you'll have to replace that and your cd/dvd drive as well.

Frankly, I think you may have to bite the bullet and just buy a whole new system..........Time to do some shopping........

caltrop

Honorable
May 18, 2012
Hard drive uses a square cable, so I think it will be alright for a new motherboard. I'm also pretty sure the case and PSU are ok.

I poked around on passmark for an i5 CPU and came up with the Intel Core i5-3550 @ 3.30GHz for $210. When you guys mention an i5 sandy bridge, is this the kind of CPU you have in mind?

How can I find a motherboard that supports this CPU and my DDR2 RAM?
Is there a problem with using my existing heatsink/fan?

caltrop

Honorable
May 18, 2012

I am within US. Thanks for the suggestion, I'm lost when it comes to mobos. I'll find the proper CPU and look for the best price on the mobo mentioned. Thanks again for everyone's help. Very friendly forum.

caltrop

Honorable
May 18, 2012

Board:
ASRock N68C-S UCC NVIDIA® GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a ChipsetMotherboard

CPU:
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black AM3 3.4Ghz 512KB

The board says it is Phenom II x6 ready and the Phenom II X6 1045T is about 20 bucks more. Would it be wise to just get that CPU instead of an x4?

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

OP, listen to this man. I lived with a Dell for ~8 years and the upgrade allowance was TERRIBLE! There were many components such as PCI slots that weren't even soldered into the motherboard :heink: . Your best option is to ditch that piece and start from scratch.

rajaawad23

Distinguished
May 17, 2010

he is basically starting from scratch just reusing the case, HDD, fans and PSU.
the motherboard will be AM2+
the CPU will be a Phenom II x4 965
and he will have 8GB DDR2 RAM
a GTX 460

this is an excellent setup, better than what I have and I am happy with my setup.

If he's going to start doing all that he might as well just trash the Dell and start all over with a new build. A new motherboard means a new CPU and new RAM. Really that's half a new build right there. All he needs is a case, PSU and video card and he's ready to go. So I say trash the Dell and do a new gaming build around the Sandy Bridges or Ivy Bridges.

rajaawad23

Distinguished
May 17, 2010

Can you please explain why he needs a new system, forget he has a dell, because he has upgraded the RAM and GPU already, and Im advising him to get a new motherboard and CPU (as said above) and he no more has a dell, just the dell case and HDD, everything else is new. getting a new system is just a waste of money.

caltrop

Honorable
May 18, 2012
Motherboard and CPU arrived today.

The motherboard is too small to be mounted in the case.
This board has 4 RAM slots, but only two of them are DDR2 (making half of my RAM useless).
The card slots are so close together that my graphics card uses two and a half of them. I can't fit both an audio card and a wireless card.

How are you supposed to know any of this stuff before buying a board? I really hope I can return this stuff, I'm on the verge of just buying an entire system around my graphics card just to play this single game but god knows if everything would fit together.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to go look at new builds.

TRENDING THREADS