Many Cooling Questions - Arctic Silver 5

digitalhardware

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Arctic Silver 5, I've heard, is the best thermal paste around. I will purchase some from Amazon, but I would like to know what the difference is between ones with "3.5g" or just "3.5" in their title.
For example, this one with "3.5g," http://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Silver-Polysynthetic-Thermal-Compound/dp/B0002VFXFE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1337387892&sr=1-1
Versus
This one without "3.5/g" in its title:
http://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Silver-5-Thermal-Compound/dp/B0002EQU6C/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1337387892&sr=1-3

Well, it's probably a very ignorant question on my part, but I would also like to know, how does the thermal paste work?
My father, me being only twelve years old, makes all the "executive" buying decisions, and strongly believes thermal paste is not necessary. I believe otherwise, and I know it is crucial to transfer heat from the CPU to the heatsink. But, that's all I know. How exactly does it work? My father's argument is "Jason, metal against metal are the best heat conductors. Placing an organic material between them would make them perform worse, if not the same." Usually, I would not argue with my father, but I'm beginning to surpass him, even if I am twelve years old. I've built a computer, know the ins and outs of the computer, but both he and I still have much to learn.

Alright. After I purchase the paste, I'm obviously going to remove the existing heatsink/fan and use Isopropyl Alcohol 70% (it's the best I've got) to remove the current thermal compound. Then, apply Arctic Silver 5 on the cpu by squeezing a little grain of rice amount and spreading with a business card. Finally, put it together. So, here are the steps I am taking, please check if they're correct:
1. Remove heatsink. Unlatch the "cam" hook and turn the heatsink clockwise and counter-clockwise to break thermal seal. Pull vertically.
2. Clean CPU and Heatsink of thermal compound, using Isopropyl Alcohol 70%.
3. Apply AS5. Squeeze grain of rice amount and spread with credit card.
4. Put heatsink back on, latch the "cam" hook securely.
5. Check connections.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to all your answers!

- Jason

artic mx4 is probably better than artic silver

and you are correct that thermal paste is necessary

your father could probably also be correct if the two pieces of metal being put together were absolutely perfectly machined
with not even microscopic defects

but the thermal paste fills in the tiny defects and prevents air pockets--and as you probably know as you sound a very

intelligent young man air is a very poor heat conductor

its only a very thin coating of thermal paste--too much would have a negative effect and start acting as a insulator

all your steps look correct--though some people dont spread with a credit card--the pressure of the heatsink being clamped

down on a rice sized amount of thermal paste will spread the paste

hope that helps answer your questions

D

Deleted member 217926

Mcnumpty23 is absolutely correct as are you that thermal paste is necessary.

Just to add my two cents. There is no single correct way to apply thermal paste due to the fact that no two pastes have the same viscosity or thickness. It is best to go by the manufacturer's recommended method for each individual paste. Even Arctic Silver recommends different methods depending on the CPU you are applying it to.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/methods.html

Manufacturers do extensive testing to see what method works best with thei product. Always go with what they recommend.

I agree that Arctic Cooling MX 4 is probably better than Arctic Silver. Arctic Silver has a 200 hour cure time that newer pastes do not have. I use IC Diamond myself.

D

Deleted member 217926

http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

" Important Reminder:
Due to the unique shape and sizes of the particles in Arctic Silver 5's conductive matrix, it will take a up to 200 hours and several thermal cycles to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity. (This period will be longer in a system without a fan on the heatsink or with a low speed fan on the heatsink.) On systems measuring actual internal core temperatures via the CPU's internal diode, the measured temperature will often drop 2C to 5C over this "break-in" period. This break-in will occur during the normal use of the computer as long as the computer is turned off from time to time and the interface is allowed to cool to room temperature. Once the break-in is complete, the computer can be left on if desired. "

digitalhardware

Honorable
May 10, 2012

Oh, alright! Thank you. I'll probably purchase Arctic MX-4 due to its non-capacitive properties, unlike Arctic Silver 5.

I know what THEY say, I'm just going from my own experience, which tells me that it's nowhere near a 5C difference. I usually never see a difference at all, in fact.

D

Deleted member 217926

I never use Arctic Silver 5. I used to use their Ceramique product due to it being non conductive and for the last 2 or 3 years I have used IC Diamond. I just figured their own website would know what it was talking about. ;)

digitalhardware

Honorable
May 10, 2012

I laughed hard to this.

Yes...yes...
Chocolate would definitely make a very good thermal compound. As would pink lip stick!

digitalhardware

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Awesome! I'm going to order Arctic Cooling MX-4 with my mother's credit card (of course with permission) tomorrow. Newegg Free Shipping is 4-7 business days, but I always get it next day (monday in this case) because I live a few miles away :D. I'm in East Brunswick, while their headquarters (I think, it might just be a warehouse) is very close.

digitalhardware

Honorable
May 10, 2012
I have another question: Should you spread the thermal compound? I plan on using the dot/rice method (drop a grain of rice/dot of Arctic Cooling MX-4). According to some people, spreading will create air bubbles and degrade thermal paste performance. So, for Arctic Cooling MX-4, or many thermal pastes in general, should I put a grain of rice and let the heatsink spread the paste itself?

Thanks.

D

Deleted member 217926

It's a good guide but it's kind of incomplete as Arctic Silver only recommends the line method for some CPUs.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/intel_application_method.html#

http://www.arcticsilver.com/amd_application_method.html#

You also have to take in account that is ONLY correct for Arctic Silver as well. Different pastes have different viscosities and spread differently. What works for Arctic Silver will not be correct for the very thick IC Diamond.

digitalhardware

Honorable
May 10, 2012

I will be using Arctic Cooling MX-4. Is the dot/grain of rice method best with that kind of thermal compound and my Amd Phenom II x6 1055t?

digitalhardware

Honorable
May 10, 2012
I'm going to apply new thermal paste because of my temps. I doubt these are normal:
1. When I boot up my PC after being shut down overnight, it is actually 35C.
2. After idling for a little bit, the temps are 40-48C. It increases Celsius by Celsius over longer periods of time.
3. But, after playing BF3 or something else CPU intensive, the CPU stays at a CONSTANT 45-50C depending on the program.

This is not normal, correct?

EDIT: Here are my temps during the first Prime95 Test (maximum heat) I stopped before it could rise higher:
15z5t1k.png

This isn't good...right?