Exp. Builder Question: Now or Later?

garin79

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
I am looking at building 2 systems, 3k budget for the 2 and I am trying to figure out if I should wait a bit longer before building. I have heard that some new things are coming down the pipe and if i wait until April, I will reap good benefits from waiting. I can wait if its beneficial, not in any real rush. Advice?

Theres always something coming down the pipe. So your best bet is to build for what you need *now, instead of waiting.

If you wait until april - might as wait until summer....and so on and so forth.

Right now AMD and Intel pretty much have reached a plateau of performance (CPU wise) - and their next chips will probably be coming around in ~6-9 months time. Plus CPU's currerntly are very powerful these days. Unless your gaming - it really would be hard to tell the difference between a "high end build" and a "mid range" build, without resorting to synthetic or canned benchmarks.

I would not wait for the sole reason that you are able to wait, cuz once you are set on one release, when that release's time comes, you will have heard about another release coming out and want to wait for that one, too. I say just build now and upgrade as you deem fit.

well theres always something new coming

ivybridge cpus wont be a huge improvement over sandybridge--maybe 10% to 15%

most interesting thing coming is probably nvidia kepler graphics cards

nvidia rumours are they will easily beat the new amd 7 series--but how much of that is actually true and whether the

price will be competitive with the amd 7 series no one really knows yet

That's all true except for the HDD prices. These have begun to go down as Taiwan gets things back together after the floods, and will continue to drop for the next few months.

This would be a huge item if the OP needed two or three RE4s in RAID, for instance.

As I said, without knowing what the system usage is, it's hard to say.

I would say - if you don't mind waiting - check out tech website shops and wait until they have a sale for certain items your looking for.

Newegg usually has sales going on - and if you have something in mind (core i5 2500k?, 1TB HDD?) wait until the sales is on for those items and then go ahead and get them. That could definately save you some cash, especially if your going for 2 builds.

garin79

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
OP Here, these will be used mainly for gaming in SWTOR and Skyrim. more of a casual gamer but I want the power so that i don't have to worry about an upgrade for another 2-3 years which is how i normally do my systems.

I won't be doing an SLI or Crossfire rig because i don't want the hassle of micro stuttering. I do intend to buy a SSD for each machine and the old 500gig drives we have will be relegated to storage. I currently have a 1tb that is full but once i build a system i can make more usage of the 500gig drives until the prices come down.

I was looking at an LGA2011 MB and CPU but the prices are a bit much for what i want and the margin between them and an i7 2600k isn't very much. At the same time, there is also the thought that with the next gen Intel/AMD chips coming in April, will the prices on the i7 come down a bit or stay the same? also, it seems that the cpu market has stalled out somewhat..... i mean the lga2011 came out and the cpu for it i can only find the 1k$ version and not the 500 version which is just too much.

I'm going Nvidia for the video card because i have never had a positive experience with the 3 AMD/Ati cards i have had. Not saying they are bad but i have had nothing but negative issues with them.

I am going with a full size case due to the fact that i want a different cooler than the factory heatsink and fan and some of those have issues with mid tower cases. I also want the expand-ability for more hard drives as well and the larger fans cuz noise is not an issue for me.

All cards can be problematic, but I understand on the Nvidia choice.

I see no good reason to wait for the next gen in this case. You might want to start with a good 120GB SSD in both and add a storage HDD in a month or two... almost always takes 3-4 months to fill up that 120GB anyway unless you are storing lots of videos.

Tavo_Nova

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
lol wait until april, for the new nvidia, then later on might as well wait until september, for newer cards and other stuff then might as well wait until january 2013 and so on so fort, waiting and waiting you will wait forever even for newer GPU you don't need to wait for them a hd 6850 and gtx560ti gtx480 can perform well in games right now and even if you do rendering they are enough unless you do workstation and other stuff,

the lga 2011, intel i7 3930K,msi x79a-gd65 8D, gtx 560ti 1gb/2gb or 6950/6970 amd's and some nice cooler and case, its enough to last you for a while before you need to do some serious overclocking or change some parts, imo,

my i7 3930K with 2011lga mobo, cost me the same as my i5 2500k, difference is i got a razer mamba/razer vespula/seagate hdd on my i5 2500k while on my i7 3930k i git no hdd no mouse/mpad but i got 32gb ram intead of 16gb

garin79

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
i honestly could care less about the 'next gen' video card. thats not what this is about. LGA2011 has been out a long while and i only know of two processors that support it and at 500 and 1k i just can't see spending the money. I was hoping to get some input on whether or not their might be more processors for the lga2011 by april that might be lower in price.

Wait until April when the new 1155 22nm Ivy Bridge comes out. It will support PCI-E 3.0. Also by that time the new PCI-E 3.0 Nvidia Kepler cards will be out so you can compare them with the new PCI-E 3.0 AMD cards that were released last month. Pair the new cards with a 1155 Gen 3 board and Ivy Bridge cpu and you should be good to go for a while.

http://www.asrock.com/microsite/PCIe3/overview.html <----- Here's a short and brief look at PCI - E 3.0 and the 1155 Ivy Bridge.

Tavo_Nova

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
if you plan on waiting then just wait until ivy bridge comes out, then forget the rest, if a 660ti comes out at the same time with ivy or just a few weeks or so, then that is worth the wait too but it would be expensive, so just stick with the good old 560ti nvidia and some 6870 amd then a good ivy 1155 is worth the shot, if not then get an i5 2400/2500k a good 1155 and go with a bang and enjoy your days

vitornob

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
Just a quickie hint:
Please, for skyrim do not even consider getting anything different than an intel i5-2300 through the i5-2500k (or yet the similars ivy-bridge)

Overclocking Benchmarks - Skyrim Benchmark
Check the bottom of the link, check the minimum fps mark. Even the highest overclocked AMD, Phenom II X4 / X6 / APU or FX line, 8 cores, etc, doesn't matter, they can't reach the stock i5-2400 at Skyrim, and I'm talking about @1080p.. not some low resolution just to point out some "fake" performer

garin79

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
Thanks Why_Me. thats the rumor i thought i heard but wasn't sure. Although, i have to say that the 3820 is looking pretty good as a means to go towards lga2011 but what you mentioned is quite intriguing. I will make my decision by then though. thanks everyone who has given insight into this.