Need advice on pc build

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
February 3, 2012 4:37:08 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: Probably around oct/nov this year

Budget Range: £400-£500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Mainly day to day jobs, light gaming.

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, OS

Preferred Website for Parts: Ebuyer

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: Intel processors

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: Already got one

I need advice on what optical drive to buy and what cables i need for connection, and also some general advice about whether i have got all the components right or not, and the quality of the components i have chosen, as this is my first build. Below is the list of the components i have found so far.

Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz XMS3 Memory Kit CL9 1.5V unbuffered

Seagate 500GB 3.5" SATA-III 6Gb/s Barracuda Hard Drive 7200RPM 16MB Cache

Palit GTS 450 1024MB GDDR5 DVI VGA HDMI Out PCI-E Graphics Card

Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 Z68 Socket 1155 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

Intel Core i5 2400 3.1GHz Socket LGA 1155 6MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor

Casecom 400W 12cm Fan PSU - 20+4pin 1x SATA 4x Molex

Casecom K5-7688 All Black Case with 120mm Blue LED Front Fan

More about : advice build

a b B Homebuilt system
February 3, 2012 4:59:02 PM

for optical drive just make sure it has a SATA interface (IDE is the cheaper, older , slower interface)

cables for connection should be provided with the peripherals such as the motherboard and the optical drive. products with OEM next to it do not come with the connectors (those products are a little bit cheaper, but they do not come with the necessary cables to connect the device)

The build looks good, you should get 550ti or 6870

as for the power supply you should look for something between 500-650watts with two 6 pin pcie connectors (power connectors for the graphic card)
February 3, 2012 5:17:50 PM

If you can bump up to an i5-2500k it will do you well (vstly better overclocking).

I agree that you could use a little more power in the GPU department.
Related resources
a c 90 B Homebuilt system
February 3, 2012 6:48:31 PM

For a dvd burner look for a sata based drive. Most, like samsung, asus, sony, lg are ok.
They may not include sata cables, but the motherboard will usually include a couple. You need one for the dvd, and one for a hard drive or ssd.
Check the photos of your motherboard on newegg to see what accessories are included in the package.

For your usage, I suggest some changes.

Unless you will be running heavily threaded cpu intensive apps, a quad core like the 2400 is not needed.
I suggest a less expensive dual core like the i3-2105. It has the same clock rate and hyperthreading, so you still get 4 threads.

The sandy bridge integrated graphics is about the capability of a $50 discrete graphics card. It is sufficient for HD movies, and light gaming.
I suggest you defer the graphics card purchase until you can determine if you really need a strong graphics card, and which one it should be.

You should also be able to save on the motherboard. A H61, H67, or Z68 are all capable of using either integrated graphics, or, later, a discrete card. H61 will normally be cheaper. Z68 would allow multiplier overclocking, but you don't need that if you are not buying a "K" suffix cpu, and you non't need to overclock anyway.
How many motherboard slots will you plan on using? For most of us, possibly only the X16 pci-e graphics slot.

You can therefore use a less expensive M-ATX motherboard with 4 slots, or even a M-ITX motherboard with only a single X16 pci-e slot.

Hard drive prices are crazy today. For the os and general use, consider starting with a SSD instead. A ssd will make your pc much quicker in everything you do. A 60gb ssd will hold the os and a couple of apps, but 80gb may well be all you need for a while. By the time you run out of room, hard drive prices may have returned to normal, and you can get a larger drive for overflow and expansion. Look to intel or samsung first for the best reliability today.

A cheap psu is the last place you should economize. A bad one can not only destroy itself, but it can take the rest of your components with it.
Casecom is unknown to me.
Stick with a quality brand. Antec, seasonic, corsair, XFX, pcp&c to name a few.

The only case brand that I would ever buy which included a psu is Antec.

A 300w psu is all you need to use if you will not have a discrete graphics card. But, for a GTS450 class card you should be looking at 450w. Fortunately, 450-500w psu's do not cost more than 300w units. Look at the Corsair builder series, or Antec for better priced units.

Any case that holds your parts will do. Buy one that visually appeals to you.
February 5, 2012 9:06:51 AM

Thanks for the advice, here is what i have come up with after reading your posts.

Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz XMS3 Memory Kit CL9 1.5V unbuffered

Seagate 500GB 3.5" SATA-III 6Gb/s Barracuda Hard Drive 7200RPM 16MB Cache

Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 Z68 Socket 1155 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

Casecom K5-7688 All Black Case with 120mm Blue LED Front Fan

Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor

Asus GTX 550 Ti 1GB GDDR5 VGA DVI HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card

LiteOn iHAS324 24x DVD±RW DL & RAM SATA Optical Drive - Retail Box Black with Software

Its about £190 over budget, if you include windows 7 hp, but i think i can fork out some extra money