I have an Aureal Semiconductor's Vortex PCI sound card, and I recently just installed an Asus CUSL2-C motherboard. These happened ever since I installed the motherboard:
1) When powering on computer, it says Error #6: Sound blaster emulation disabled in windows. Driver not loaded.
2) When my Win98 is loaded on screen, error message comes out says: Your Vortex adapter is not plugged into the primary PCI bus. The MPU401, joystick, modem & sound blaster capabilities may not work when on a secondary PCI bus.
Nothing scary, just chooze the NO thing when that message pops up to not show the message in the future. On the power up it is nothing scary, I don’t think you gonna use the emulation anyway, if da card works, just enjoy da thing... hehe
3. Either way, put the 2048 drivers on the hard drive in a handy file and locate the au30mmed.inf file.
4. Use Wordpad to edit the file, remove the semicolon from before the line
Now the drivers are fixed.
5. Go into BIOS and set PNP OS to NO. Also set exclude IRQ5 from the PCI table there. Now you have a free IRQ for Soundblaster Emulation.
6. Restart your computer and install the drivers from the hady file you just created.
7. Right click on Autoexec.bat, select Edit form the drop down menu. Change the SET BLASTER = A240 I7 D1 T4 line to read SET BLASTER = A240 I5 D1 T4 if necesary. Now you have the Dos configuration set to take advantage of the free IRQ.
8. Restart your computer.
Your done, have fun, and don't forget to thank me!