Sign in with
Your question
Solved

USB Port Help -- Power Surge, and random USB Connected sounds.

Last response: in Components
May 19, 2012 2:45:45 AM

Ever since I moved my computer into a new case, and upgraded the RAM, I have been having some problems with USB Ports on my computer. To make a long story short, my computer was working fine, but I upgraded my case from an Antec 900 to a Rosewill Thor V2, and I upgraded my RAM from a single stick of 4GB 1333MHz RAM, to two sticks of 4GB 1600MHz RAM (8GB's in total). Anyway, after moving my motherboard and all other components over to the new case, and powering up, and I was getting this error message in Windows that says, "Power Surge on USB Hub Port -- The Device on this port is trying to draw too much power.", or something to that effect, I don't remember the exact message, but it came up every 10-15 minutes or so, as an alert, in the bottom right hand corner. When you click on it, it just brings up a list of USB Ports and the one that is at fault is simply labeled, "Unknown USB Device" or something like that, and your options are to either "reset" the port, or to click "close" which will disable the port. I had tried both ways, and either one I chose, the message would still pop-up around 10-15 minutes later.

When this happened, I never had any problems with any of my USB Devices, they all seemed to be working properly, and not disconnected. All I have are a Keyboard, Mouse, and a Wireless Adapter. Anyway, to remedy the problem I just went in to Device Manager and disallowed Windows from reporting errors with the USB Ports. Not the best choice, I know, but I could find no way to fix it, and since it didn't seem to be causing any problems I figured there'd be no harm in just hiding the message.

Anyway, now a new problem has come about, where every 10-15 minutes my computer will make the "USB Device Connected" sound, when nothing new is connected to the computer. Again, it doesn't seem to affect any of my devices that I have plugged in, but it's rather just a small annoyance. This is another problem I could just "ignore" by going in and changing the default sound for when a USB Device is Connected, and just removing the sound all-together, but it is again another thing I would prefer to fix, instead of ignore.

I'm not really sure what could have caused these problems, with all I changed being a case and the RAM, but the case does have it's own set of USB ports on the front, which are of course plugged in to the motherboard. So I've tried disconnecting those from the motherboard, and starting up again, getting the same exact problem...so it seems that it has to be a problem with one of the ports on my motherboard, though I never had this problem in my old case. I've even tried unplugging all my USB Devices and putting them in alternate ports (ones that aren't connected to the motherboard), and the problem still seems to persist.

I'm really out of idea's as to what could be causing this, after multiple attempts to figure it out. Device Manager doesn't really help as I have no way of knowing which USB Controller goes to which port, and there's a total of 14 Universal Serial Bus controllers listed, and a total of 12 USB Ports (8 USB 3.0/4 USB 2.0) on my computer. There are 4 USB 3.0 on the back connected to the motherboard, as well as 2 additional USB 2.0 on the back right next to them. Then I have an external 3.5" adapter on the front of my case with two additional USB 3.0 Ports, and the case itself has 2 USB 3.0 and 2 USB 2.0 on the front.

I've tried to look into each individual port with a flashlight to see if they look damaged, but from what I can tell, they look to be fine, and all of them work when I test them with my USB Flash Drive. All connect and will transfer data, so they seem to be working, and like I said, nothing actually happens when the Power Surge error comes up, or when the USB Device Connected sound plays through the speakers...so I don't really get what the problem could be.

At first I was thinking a loose connection, but everything seems secure. I'm really just lost on what this could be, or if it's something I should bother worrying about, or just ignore it by disabling USB Error Notifications, and disabling USB Hardware Connect sounds.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Best solution

May 19, 2012 3:14:19 AM

ferrari91169 said:
Ever since I moved my computer into a new case, and upgraded the RAM, I have been having some problems with USB Ports on my computer. To make a long story short, my computer was working fine, but I upgraded my case from an Antec 900 to a Rosewill Thor V2, and I upgraded my RAM from a single stick of 4GB 1333MHz RAM, to two sticks of 4GB 1600MHz RAM (8GB's in total). Anyway, after moving my motherboard and all other components over to the new case, and powering up, and I was getting this error message in Windows that says, "Power Surge on USB Hub Port -- The Device on this port is trying to draw too much power.", or something to that effect, I don't remember the exact message, but it came up every 10-15 minutes or so, as an alert, in the bottom right hand corner. When you click on it, it just brings up a list of USB Ports and the one that is at fault is simply labeled, "Unknown USB Device" or something like that, and your options are to either "reset" the port, or to click "close" which will disable the port. I had tried both ways, and either one I chose, the message would still pop-up around 10-15 minutes later.

When this happened, I never had any problems with any of my USB Devices, they all seemed to be working properly, and not disconnected. All I have are a Keyboard, Mouse, and a Wireless Adapter. Anyway, to remedy the problem I just went in to Device Manager and disallowed Windows from reporting errors with the USB Ports. Not the best choice, I know, but I could find no way to fix it, and since it didn't seem to be causing any problems I figured there'd be no harm in just hiding the message.

Anyway, now a new problem has come about, where every 10-15 minutes my computer will make the "USB Device Connected" sound, when nothing new is connected to the computer. Again, it doesn't seem to affect any of my devices that I have plugged in, but it's rather just a small annoyance. This is another problem I could just "ignore" by going in and changing the default sound for when a USB Device is Connected, and just removing the sound all-together, but it is again another thing I would prefer to fix, instead of ignore.

I'm not really sure what could have caused these problems, with all I changed being a case and the RAM, but the case does have it's own set of USB ports on the front, which are of course plugged in to the motherboard. So I've tried disconnecting those from the motherboard, and starting up again, getting the same exact problem...so it seems that it has to be a problem with one of the ports on my motherboard, though I never had this problem in my old case. I've even tried unplugging all my USB Devices and putting them in alternate ports (ones that aren't connected to the motherboard), and the problem still seems to persist.

I'm really out of idea's as to what could be causing this, after multiple attempts to figure it out. Device Manager doesn't really help as I have no way of knowing which USB Controller goes to which port, and there's a total of 14 Universal Serial Bus controllers listed, and a total of 12 USB Ports (8 USB 3.0/4 USB 2.0) on my computer. There are 4 USB 3.0 on the back connected to the motherboard, as well as 2 additional USB 2.0 on the back right next to them. Then I have an external 3.5" adapter on the front of my case with two additional USB 3.0 Ports, and the case itself has 2 USB 3.0 and 2 USB 2.0 on the front.

I've tried to look into each individual port with a flashlight to see if they look damaged, but from what I can tell, they look to be fine, and all of them work when I test them with my USB Flash Drive. All connect and will transfer data, so they seem to be working, and like I said, nothing actually happens when the Power Surge error comes up, or when the USB Device Connected sound plays through the speakers...so I don't really get what the problem could be.

At first I was thinking a loose connection, but everything seems secure. I'm really just lost on what this could be, or if it's something I should bother worrying about, or just ignore it by disabling USB Error Notifications, and disabling USB Hardware Connect sounds.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

i would check your USB headers at the bottom and make sure no pins are bent. if not then unplug all usb headers that were connected and see if that gets it.

i would also check to make sure u don't have a Rouge standoff under your Mobo or your USB headers. (its happened to me before)
August 7, 2012 8:55:57 PM

I am having the exact same problem!! EXACT!! Its just happened to me and i have no idea what it is!! , what board are you using ? Did you manage to sort anything out?
m
l
August 17, 2012 2:31:47 AM

Best answer selected by ferrari91169.
m
l
!