AMD or INTEL?

I am looking to build a new computer for my self soon and I hear 2 different sides everyone time I ask people.

AMD is better!!!

INTEL is better!!!

Is there a difference these days or is one just cheaper then the other?

Edit: I am looking for the best bang for my buck so to speak. I do a lot of video enditing, rendering, gaming, frapsing, I do a weekly live podcast, and I am wanting to run 2 monitors.

I would be keeping my GTX 460 and upgrading my mobo, case, ram and CPU. Not sure I need to upgrade my PSU.
11 answers Last reply
More about intel
  1. Either one would be fine.

Performance is somewhat tied to cost. Higher cost equaling higher performance.
    But in a budget build you can get a nice system without top end parts.
  2. Bazeleel said:
    I would be keeping my GTX 460 and upgrading my mobo, case, ram and CPU. Not sure I need to upgrade my PSU.
    List all the parts your keeping for a suitability check.
    Like, if you have a PATA/IDE DVD/CD burner - not all motherboards have those connections any more.
  3. WR2 said:
    List all the parts your keeping for a suitability check.
    Like, if you have a PATA/IDE DVD/CD burner - not all motherboards have those connections any more.

The only part I would be saving with be my GTX 460 and my PSU if I do not need a new one. I would be starting from ground up with getting a new case, mobo, HD(using my other sata HD for video capture only), ram, CPU, and a new CD/DVD bunner.
  4. Either Intel or AMD would do fine, though if your budget allows, I would opt for Intel.

Intel has much higher performance, that's for sure. But if you're on a tight budget, AMD will do just fine :)
  5. Want some build options and more opinions?

You might want to jump on over to the Systems > New Build section of the THG forums where they handle about a couple dozen of these requests per day. And they are more in tune with current prices, sales and combo deals.

If you fill out the form in *How To Ask For New Build Advice* you'll answer all the standard questions that help things get started
  6. Ill check that out thank you.

I just want to make sure that if i do go the i5 core way I will be set for a good amount of years.
  7. Bazeleel said:
    Ill check that out thank you.

I just want to make sure that if i do go the i5 core way I will be set for a good amount of years.

You'll definitely be set for the next 4-5 years (?)

Get a 'K' version of the i5 along with an aftermarket cooler to overclock and you'll be set for a good while :)
  8. So the best bet would be the i5 and just skip the 6 core AMD?
  9. Core i5/i7 or FX-8150 or Phenom II X6 1100 would all be good choices.
  10. thank you
  11. It's looking like the Tubans (Phenom II X6 1100T/1190T and X4 960T) are in short supply. I bet everyone's been grabbing them up.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel AMD