Need advice on a first time build $1000 gaming rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

OffedPez

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: As soon as I feel confident about my build.

Budget Range: $1000 before rebate and after shipping is my hard budget.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming is going to be the major use, but this will also be my media viewing PC.

Parts Not Required: I don't need a mouse. That's about it. :sweat:

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg

Parts Preferences: Well, I have an intel processor coming in, so everything needs to work with that.

Overclocking: Nope.

SLI or Crossfire: Nope.

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I've already gathered a list of parts I think work together but blow my budget. However, this is going to be the first time I've ever attempted to build my own computer, so I'm sure I've made mistakes in trying to get this together. Any advice on how to effectively build this rig would be greatly appreciated.

NON-NEGOTIABLE (but still count towards the budget)
Processor
Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz
Monitor
HANNspree By Hanns-G HF225DPB Black 21.5" Full HD WideScreen LCD Monitor w/Speakers
OS
Windows 7.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Case
Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Motherboard
ASRock H61M/U3S3 LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

PSU
Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply (The one Raiddinn recommended was out of stock and discontinued at Newegg. And I'm not gonna buy a used PSU).

Storage
Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

GPU and RAM
SAPPHIRE 100314-3L Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card I found this nice little combo pack. I like the GPU, so the only question is really the RAM.

CD/DVD
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM Thank you for the recommendation Raiddinn.

Keyboard (Just a basic one until I can afford a new one, but it's here since I have to count it towards the price).
Lame Basic Microsoft Keyboard

As I said, I'm completely new at this and I'm not the most tech savvy person out there, so feel free to point and laugh at the [strike]stupid[/strike] silly mistakes I'm sure I've made. Thanks to everyone that takes the time to help a newb out! (I'm updating this as suggestions come in).

Solution
Just thought I might let you know that the OS that you already bought isn't going to be legal if you are buying these parts in order for you to use them yourself. It says so right there in the license agreement.

Otherwise, I would change the RAM to CT2KIT51264BA1339, change the DVD Drive to an Asus 24x, and change the PSU to an XFX Pro 450w Core. The rest can stay.
Just thought I might let you know that the OS that you already bought isn't going to be legal if you are buying these parts in order for you to use them yourself. It says so right there in the license agreement.

Otherwise, I would change the RAM to CT2KIT51264BA1339, change the DVD Drive to an Asus 24x, and change the PSU to an XFX Pro 450w Core. The rest can stay.

Solution

OffedPez

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012

Well look at that, it can't. Told you I made stupid mistakes. Well that completely screws everything I had looked at up. I haven't actually already bought the OS, I just need a Windows one since I suck at Linux. So I guess I was smart not to start buying anything but the processor.

OffedPez

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
Am I a student? No. Do I have a legal copy of Vista? Just an old Dell re-install disc. Though I probably can borrow a straight up OS disc from a friend. Does that help?

If you own a legal copy of XP or Vista and you agree to delete it and not use it ever again, you can qualify for a legal copy of a Windows 7 Upgrade CD which costs the same as an OEM CD.

It won't help to borrow a CD from someone else or if you have a Vista CD and it is installed on a computer you want to keep using.

If you ... know... a student, they can buy a Student full version of Windows 7 and it should be legal for them to sell it to whoever they want for however much they want. They will have to be able to, at a minimum, check their student email and click a link in it, though.

OffedPez

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012

Oooh! Good idea. Most of my friends are college students. I'll have to ask them if they'll sell me their yearly discount. Do you think the original post's setup looks better now?

Status
Not open for further replies.