ATI Drivers and HD6870

r3ap3r911

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
Heyall,
Having trouble after updating my ATI drivers past 11.6.. Anything later than v11.6 of catalyst will almost certainly freeze or the screen gets all fuzzy and jumbled up as soon as i start up a game - on the other hand sometimes it works without a problem! Not sure whats going on?! Did not have this issue with 11.6 and earlier at all so I was sticking with that option, but every time theres a new update -11.7, 11.8 etc etc and now 11.11 I keep trying them thinking that they will solve the problem, but they don't!.. I'm running a Gigabyte HD6870 1gb video card, PhenomII 955B processor, 8gb ram, DirectX 11, Windows 7 ultimate fully updated.. Please help this is driving me nuts!

r3ap3r911

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
Running world of warcrapt my graphics temp is up around 74*C... Seems to be running fine right now.. but i'm sure if i quit the game then re enter it will crash on me..

Dec 2, 2011

I've been encountering a similar issue of the fuzzies since 11.3. Also BOINC losses the abilty to connect to localhost and PC Xbox controller refuses to start. Here's what my MSN looks like.

dlgkmd.jpg

It has to be the drivers because if I revert and restart it goes back to normal.

EDIT: I took another screenshot so you can see how bad it is compared to my desktop.

I know how to fix your fuzziness problem, though not why you are getting freezes. To fix the fuzziness, go into the Catalyst Control Center, go to the gaming tab, and uncheck the Enable Morphological Filtering checkbox. It should be right above the Anti Aliasing options. The morphological filter causes most 2D applications to get really fuzzy like that, so you have to remember to turn it off when not using it for games that don't properly support Anti Aliasing.

Dec 2, 2011

That did indeed take care of the fuzziness! Thank you, now if only BOINC and my XBOX controller would work...

jjtober1

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
You guys should download RadeonPro and use that if you like morphological AA in your games, you can make different profiles for each game and stuff. The only real advantage I have seen with MLAA is that it can be forced in any game, so some games that don't have an AA option and you can't force AA with your drivers, you can still use MLAA. I hate aliasing myself.

r3ap3r911

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
I uninstalled catalyat again and all the amd tweaking software i had inatalled and may or may not have been running in the background, then i reinstalled catalyst 11.11 yet again and it seems to be working good for now.. maybe it was a compatibility issue qith other amd software idk but ill find out tonight and post back.

r3ap3r911

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
Alright so i'm really not sure whats happening... seems to happen ONLY when i FIRST start a game - BF3/WoW... and other times it doesnt happen at all.. I just ran FurMark a few different times to see if temperature was messing it up.. doesnt seem to be the case.. Got it up to 94*C without a problem.. tried AAx2, x4, x8 without problems-just laggy.. any suggestions guys? go back to older drivers? send it in for RMA?

r3ap3r911

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
think i may have found problem.. screen tearing was happening like crazy on game boot.. turned off vertical sync and it seems to be fine now.. atleast for now..