This is my system:
AMD FX-6100 six-core @ 3,3 GHz
MSI 760gm-p23 (fx)
2 4GB Corsair DDR3 Ram sticks @ 667 MHz
Asus Nvidia GTX560Ti DC II TOP @ 900 MHz 1GB GDDR5
2 Seagate barracuda drives of 250GB
OCZ PSU @ 650W

this happens, only during the newer games:
the speed, multiplier and core voltage of my processor drop from 3,3 GHz 16.5 x and 1.280 to 1,4 GHz, 7.0 x and 0.872. these values do not go back up when I quit the game. It happens rather quickly during BF3 and it takes a little longer to happen during Skyrim. It does not happen during the first witcher game (to my knowledge) it seems to have to do with the intense use of the CPU.

I've tried disabling AMD Cool 'n Quiet and C1E, and changing my processor speeds in BIOS from auto to the stock values. But this did not do anything.
processorchanges.jpg

darth-stu

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Hi

What temprature is the cpu running at when under load. you can get the temp by installing realtemp.
Most motherboards have a thermal throttleing feature that reduce's the cpu multiplier if it get's to hot. (sound familer)

If your cpu temp is under 65C- when underload then
go into your bios and see if you have a thermal throttleing feature.
if you do and its on then turn it off and you should be good.

eizetjuh

Honorable
May 19, 2012
I was playing assassins creed revelations and the core speed dropped, I looked at the thermometer which then (I assume falsly) sais 255 degrees centigrade. 10 minutes after the event, it is still the same.

correon

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
In windows control panel you can adjust power - so power is high power or some medium setting or power-save - put it to high power then it should not lower the multiplier in your system and speed should remain at high setting

eizetjuh

Honorable
May 19, 2012
The temperature reaches 70 (according to HWmonitor) and then it sais 255 degrees, so yes it might be a temperature problem.

chase3567

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
If it goes into sleep mode and you wake the computer only two cores will run at 3.3 and the other four will be at 1.4. The only solution i've found so far is to reboot the computer than everything is fine. Most of the time I shut it down when not using it and on fresh boot the problem is not there. Download AMD overdrive and you can see the speed of all your cores at any given time.

AMD overdrive will also show you the temps of your cpu and cores also. Did you turn off turbo mode, I don't use turbo mode and I have the cpu OC to 4.0ghz.

eizetjuh

Honorable
May 19, 2012
I don't use turbo mode, I can restart my pc, and my speed would be back to normal, but as soon as I start playing the newer games, my speed drops during my playing, and so does the framerate. At first I thought it was my graphics card, then I saw how my processor speed dropped.
The thing is, everything used to be fine, and nothing would happen. I ordered some new thermal grease and extra case fans, that should get rid of high temperatures.
I also never go into sleep mode.

eizetjuh

Honorable
May 19, 2012
AMD Overdrive shows lowering of speed in all cores after reaching 75+ degrees celsius, that is rather high. on idle it was in the 50 degrees celsius area.

chase3567

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012

Well it does sound like you have a heat problem. At stock speeds your idle should be about 28-30c, I idle around 35c with my overclock and when playing BF3 underload at about 43-45c.

Check if your heatsink is seated properly, reapply thermal paste and reseat the heatsink to see if that helps. See if the fans on your CPU is running properly.

eizetjuh

Honorable
May 19, 2012
I thought it was seated properly, took it out anyway, I took the fan and heatsink apart cleaned them, and now I've been playing BF3 for half an hour. the temp remains stable at 65 degrees. so succes. still going to install the extra case fans and better thermal paste to keep it cooler.