Sign in with
Your question

Wireless Problems

Last response: in Wireless Networking
May 18, 2011 10:45:07 PM

Hello, I am having a problem with my wireless network. It keeps dropping the signal throughout the day. I have a D-Link DIR-655 router. Here are where I notice problems - When I am surfing on my laptop, it will suddenly lose connection to the internet, my internet bars in the taskbar will have the asterisk and when I click it, my network will not even be there (but other networks are), I wait a few moments and it comes back and logs on automatically. Also, when I am on my PS3 which is also setup wirelessly, I am disconnected from the internet it seems every half hour or so, which makes online gaming impossible. It will also sometimes say that I have been disconnected from the access point. It seems like the router is constantly re-booting or something. I have tried googling solutions, but not getting anything that helps. I appreciate any and all help with this matter. Thanks

More about : wireless problems

May 19, 2011 5:04:45 AM

You need to go into the router to check that the channel it's broadcasting on is the same as your wireless adapter is set to. To find the router's settings, follow this procedure.

Go Start then Run in XP - or use the Windows key plus R in Vista and Windows 7, then type in the following into the Open box, including all the spaces:-

cmd /k ipconfig /all

then press Enter and from the black form that shows up, take a note of the numeric code beside the Default Gateway icon - something like 192.168.0.1.

Type exit to close the black form.

Open Internet Explorer and enter that code into the URL address bar as though it was a website. You're then at the login page to the router's settings utility and admin will usually be the login with either admin or password as the password but your router's instruction manual will help you there.

Once in there, the wireless section will show that channel and in your wireless adapter Properties, under Configure, you can alter the adapter to the same as the router.

One other concern is the use of the PS3. If that restricts you to the WEP leel of wireless security, your problem could be caused by other people stealing your bandwidth.

m
l
May 26, 2011 6:14:14 AM

Thanks alot. I have figured out the problem.
m
l
!