My Utterly Bizarre Sleep Mode Problem

SimplyShane

Honorable
May 17, 2012
Hello. I am the owner of a Lenovo m58 7244a35 pre-built desktop system.

When I put this computer to sleep, once every fifteen minutes or so, the case fan will begin to power up and the system *sounds* like it will start on its own, but it then resumes sleep. My monitor never turns on during this process, but it is still incredibly annoying, as this has caused me to wake up prematurely on multiple occasions.

What is going on here guys? Does anyone have any ideas? :heink:

(For the record: No, I do not own a pet and I have no children. The system is literally doing this on its own...)

because he wants the quick startup.

How old is it?

I ask because 'recently' techniques for having a PC keep email etc. updated during sleep were touted, I think they are Sandy bridge and ivybridge processors, or may be chipset related. Its also possible that Lenovo created that kind of mechanism for their own machines.

Check for pre-installed software that sounds like it might do that.

I actually agree with lookerup here. I don't understand why it's doing that, but why not just shut it down? 13thmonkey has a good point about quick startup, but assuming that the system is relatively new, it should boot in less than a minute anyway.

I realize I have a relatively fast system, but I still only have a mechanical HDD (1TB Caviar Black), and my boot time is 40-50 seconds at most (never timed it exactly, though, but it's fast). Point being, if you can't figure the problem out, is it really that imperative to put it to sleep, instead of just shutting down?

Yeah, a C2D system will probably have a pretty slow boot time, especially if there are a lot of programs running at startup.

SimplyShane

Honorable
May 17, 2012
I'm running under a *fresh* install of Windows 7 Home Premium. No OEM Software can be found on my hard drive.

I've also noticed that my computer takes a rather long time to boot up. It's pretty damn frustrating to be perfectly honest.
I bought this as an upgrade, and it feels more like a step back.

could be a few things...first off it could be the network card and the sleep function...your router or cable modem might be sending a ping out to see if your pc still responding/on. when it sends the ping the pc is waking up to respond to the ping on the network card. if that not it try turning off windows or the bios sleep funtion. it may be one or the other are trying to take over. also see if you have defrag or anti virus set to come on when the system is idle. some time it can be a anti virus program trying to run in the back ground.

SimplyShane

Honorable
May 17, 2012

I've upgraded to 8GB of RAM and I've also added a Radeon card.

No, it still isn't great, but it *should be* destroying my 3-year old AMD HP slimline.

SimplyShane

Honorable
May 17, 2012

I don't use a network card. I have a wireless USB adapter that worked flawlessly on my old computer system.
Your other suggestions are worth looking into however. I am using Microsoft Security Essentials for my AV, if that matters...

(As for the BIOS, everything is set to default, but I will try to find a sleep setting to play with.)

"Wake On" events like Wake On LAN (not applicable for you, but just an example).

And C2D is Core 2 Duo. Not bad per se, just several generations old tech, and it's only dual core.

SimplyShane

Honorable
May 17, 2012

My *older* AMD 5200 dual core system boots *far* faster than my new machine, and it has half the RAM and lower specs...
When I get home tonight, I'm going to swap the hard drive from that sytem to see if it makes a difference in terms of my boot speed.

As for the sleep mode issue, it remains a mystery. (I can't say I'm too impressed with Lenovo at this point. :( )

Oh, and to make matters worse: I actually do have my Staples receipt, but the return period has expired.

was trying to illustrate the build of the machine and hence the likely boot times, to indicate why the OP wants to keep it on standby.

The wake and then sleep without turning the monitor on seems to be a purposeful event rather than an unintentional response to something.

OP does it just do this once or repeatedly?

I am thinking this:
You put it into standby not hibernate
the settings are set that after an additional 15mins it goes to hibernate
so after 15mins of standby time, it wakes enough so that it can hibernate

should all be in the power settings. Its the kind of setup you'd have for a battery powered laptop so that you aren't using battery to keep data in ram in standby mode.

SimplyShane

Honorable
May 17, 2012

It does this repeatedly.

I'll take a look at the power settings, but I highly doubt this will solve the problem.