Sign in with
Your question

XFX Radeon HD 6850 - New fan - Game crashes

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 4, 2011 9:28:00 PM

Hi, I recently installed a new fan onto my 6850, before this the fan was having problems and wouldn't spin properly, however the card itself worked fine on games.
I decided to get a new fan, I went with the Scythe Setsugen, I installed the fan onto the graphics card and put it on my computer, everything works fine until i launch a game, as soon as I launch the game the intro video plays for about 2 seconds and then freezes. The screen then goes black and if I don't exit out of the game I end up getting a blue screen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
December 4, 2011 9:43:24 PM

Also, it's definitely the card, as I have another 6850 (was going to use them crossfire) that works fine if I put it in on its own.
a c 109 U Graphics card
December 4, 2011 9:49:10 PM

Why did you not rma the card in the first place? Also what are the temps of the card? Use gpu-z or msi afterburner to check.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2011 9:49:26 PM

Did you use the proper thermal interface material? Use a temperature-monitoring application (Speedfan or MSI Precision) and see what you get. If you see 80C or above, that's probably the problem.
December 4, 2011 9:52:07 PM

kajabla said:
Did you use the proper thermal interface material? Use a temperature-monitoring application (Speedfan or MSI Precision) and see what you get. If you see 80C or above, that's probably the problem.

Yes I did, temps are around 32C.
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2011 9:52:58 PM

In-game? In a situation where it crashes?
December 4, 2011 9:54:07 PM

kajabla said:
In-game? In a situation where it crashes?

It crashes literally as soon as i launch the game, the introduction video will play for maybe 2 seconds before it crashes.
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2011 9:54:51 PM

Use MSI Afterburner's OSD to see your temps in-game.

EDIT : Have you overclocked the card at all?
a c 109 U Graphics card
December 4, 2011 9:55:00 PM

tsbrian said:
It crashes literally as soon as i launch the game, the introduction video will play for maybe 2 seconds before it crashes.

are the drivers correctly installed?
December 4, 2011 9:55:43 PM

amuffin said:
are the drivers correctly installed?

Yeah, I've re installed them a few times when trying to fix it myself.
December 4, 2011 9:58:31 PM

yummerzzz said:
Use MSI Afterburner's OSD to see your temps in-game.

EDIT : Have you overclocked the card at all?

No, card is at factory clock, also as you can see from my other posts I can't see the temps in-game.
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2011 10:05:00 PM

Feel the card, then. Put your finger on the back of the card (non-fan side) as you launch a game. If it gets really hot, there's your problem.
December 4, 2011 10:06:58 PM

kajabla said:
Feel the card, then. Put your finger on the back of the card (non-fan side) as you launch a game. If it gets really hot, there's your problem.

The card stays cool. The fan itself is really good and keeps the card very cool.
December 4, 2011 10:32:42 PM

On a side note, I see a lot of the XFX 6950s RMA'd a lot for not working, BSODs a lot, and D.O.A.
!