Sign in with
Your question
Closed

My build

Last response: in Systems
February 3, 2012 11:30:50 PM

This is my first new build in close to 20 years, things sure have changed allot! This is more geared towards CAD/CAM work, but will be used for everything, maybe even games. I am down to the graphics card for the final piece, was hoping the price would come down on the ASUS Matrix GTX580, and had considered the MSI GTX580. What do you think?

Corsair 600T case
Corsair TX850 PSU
Corsair Force GT 120 GB SSD
Corsair H100 Liquid CPU Cooler
Corsair XMS Triple Channel Memory, 24 GB
ASUS Rampage III Formula motherboard
Intel Core I7-960 Processor, 3.20 Ghz
Western Digital 1TB HDD, Caviar black
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
ASUS 24X DVD burner
Sony Blue Ray writer
AFT Media reader
Logitec Z623 speakers
Logitec MK550 keyboard and mouse
Windows 7 Utimate
LG IPS236 monitor

I did change the 240mm fan in the top of the case to two Antec Tricool 120mm fans mounted above the radiator. Was thinking about mounting two more in the side panel to pressurize the case?

More about : build

February 4, 2012 12:01:26 AM

Lol, You Could also get The Keyboard and Mouse and Speakers from Corsair :D  xD that woud be so cool. Why are u getting a 1366 cpu. The only way u are gonna get a asus matrix wil be in ebay, those cards dissapeared in the market xD they are limited edition. good choice on the fans xD i dont think it will be necesarry to mount 2 more , btw get ready to have a little turbulance in ur case, those fans without the proper Fan controller will run at max rpm.
Score
February 4, 2012 12:02:32 AM

I'm envious! Looks like a solid build. Either of those GTX 580s should be a good choice. The cards with the best rating, however, usually are EVGA.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

As far as the fans, I always like to go with the largest diameter the mounting area will accept. Larger fans move more air with less noise. My Cooler Master HAF 912 case had room for 2 120mm fans in front, but they were a bit noisy. I switched to a single 200mm fan, and it made quite a difference in quietness.

I too have the X-FI Titanium. Excellent sound card. The rest of your choices for the system is excellent imho.
Score
Related resources
February 4, 2012 12:08:03 AM

You already bought everything except the video cards?

Random comments...
1) I think you might be giving Corsair too much credit, they lead the way in failure rates in almost everything they make. Crucial is a much more solid choice for the things it makes and XFX for the stuff it makes.
2) I can't imagine how you will use up 24 GBs of RAM outside of a server environment.
3) Asus 24x DVD - Good choice
4) PSU sounds way too large for what you intend to be doing even at the max load if you have a 580 it will probably be barely half that. You could have easily went with an XFX 650w instead.
5) Between the two 580s it doesn't really make a big difference.
6) A single 240 mm fan pushes way more air than 2x 120mm fans do. The whole Pi * R^2 thing from back in Algebra class in 6th grade. I would have left the 240mm in.
7) You want more fans pushing out than the number of fans pushing in, preferably. Negative pressure is usually more advisable than positive pressure.
Score
February 4, 2012 12:20:52 AM

chulex67 said:
Lol, You Could also get The Keyboard and Mouse and Speakers from Corsair :D  xD that woud be so cool. Why are u getting a 1366 cpu. The only way u are gonna get a asus matrix wil be in ebay, those cards dissapeared in the market xD they are limited edition. good choice on the fans xD i dont think it will be necesarry to mount 2 more , btw get ready to have a little turbulance in ur case, those fans without the proper Fan controller will run at max rpm.

I have been buying parts for months, in a way I wish I had waited on the new four channel memory for the Sandy Bridge cpu's. The case has a fan controller, shouldn't be an issue.
Score
February 4, 2012 12:26:09 AM

clutchc said:
I'm envious! Looks like a solid build. Either of those GTX 580s should be a good choice. The cards with the best rating, however, usually are EVGA.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

As far as the fans, I always like to go with the largest diameter the mounting area will accept. Larger fans move more air with less noise. My Cooler Master HAF 912 case had room for 2 120mm fans in front, but they were a bit noisy. I switched to a single 200mm fan, and it made quite a difference in quietness.

I too have the X-FI Titanium. Excellent sound card. The rest of your choices for the system is excellent imho.

I left the 240 mm fan in the front of the case, but had to change the one in the top for lack of room. I mounted the radiator in the top, and the fans are actually under the grill above the radiator, it's packed in there.

Is EVGA a good reliable product, I've never had anything of theirs before?
Score
February 4, 2012 12:32:04 AM

Raiddinn said:
You already bought everything except the video cards?

Random comments...
1) I think you might be giving Corsair too much credit, they lead the way in failure rates in almost everything they make. Crucial is a much more solid choice for the things it makes and XFX for the stuff it makes.
2) I can't imagine how you will use up 24 GBs of RAM outside of a server environment.
3) Asus 24x DVD - Good choice
4) PSU sounds way too large for what you intend to be doing even at the max load if you have a 580 it will probably be barely half that. You could have easily went with an XFX 650w instead.
5) Between the two 580s it doesn't really make a big difference.
6) A single 240 mm fan pushes way more air than 2x 120mm fans do. The whole Pi * R^2 thing from back in Algebra class in 6th grade. I would have left the 240mm in.
7) You want more fans pushing out than the number of fans pushing in, preferably. Negative pressure is usually more advisable than positive pressure.

I got the 850 because I had considered getting two cards. I use some high end solid modeling software that does machining simulations, it can be a memory hog.

It's odd you say Corsair has high failures, everything i read about them says they have excellent product, and very reliable. They may not be the absolute fastest, but appeared to be the best bang for the buck?
Score

Best solution

February 4, 2012 1:12:06 AM

Sam98 said:
I left the 240 mm fan in the front of the case, but had to change the one in the top for lack of room. I mounted the radiator in the top, and the fans are actually under the grill above the radiator, it's packed in there.

Is EVGA a good reliable product, I've never had anything of theirs before?

When it comes to video cards, EVGA is in the top tier. Some would say the best. I've had many different brands over the years (decades?). None of my cards ever failed, but I don't go crazy OCing. And EVGA has one of the best warranties.

The 1st gen Sandy Bridge i7 you have may be just a tad out-dated, but it's still a solid top tier performer when it comes to gaming.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...
February 4, 2012 1:26:00 AM

clutchc said:
When it comes to video cards, EVGA is in the top tier. Some would say the best. I've had many different brands over the years (decades?). None of my cards ever failed, but I don't go crazy OCing. And EVGA has one of the best warranties.

The 1st gen Sandy Bridge i7 you have may be just a tad out-dated, but it's still a solid top tier performer when it comes to gaming.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...

Which one of the EVGA 580 cards is the best in the newegg link you posted, and why?
Score
February 4, 2012 1:29:06 AM

Doesn't look bad at all to me... nice build....
Score
February 4, 2012 1:31:16 AM

Sam98 said:
Which one of the EVGA 580 cards is the best in the newegg link you posted, and why?

I haven't owned a GTX 580, so it would be unfair of me to judge. I would sort by 'best rating' and read the reviews. Do some review checking online. My personal opinion (just an opinion) is one of the Super Clocked EVGA GTX 580s. If you tend to OC, the SC versions should have more headroom.
Score
February 4, 2012 1:38:27 AM

Raiddinn said:
http://www.behardware.com/articles/843-4/components-ret...

Look at all the Corsair on there.

That's good to know, but I don't have any of that Corsair product, I bought the best reviewed product they had. My memory is Corsair XMS3 3x4 GB DDR3 2000 MHz.

My WD drive is on there, and I about drove myself crazy trying to decide on a HDD for storage, the one I bought (WD1002FAEX) had the best reviews. All of the drives had failures from every manufacturer, the 2 TB seem to be extremely high for failures, so I went with a 1 TB for now.
Score
February 4, 2012 1:44:08 AM

zloginet said:
Doesn't look bad at all to me... nice build....

Thanks! How do you like the Force GT SSD?
Score
February 4, 2012 2:06:54 AM

clutchc said:
I haven't owned a GTX 580, so it would be unfair of me to judge. I would sort by 'best rating' and read the reviews. Do some review checking online. My personal opinion (just an opinion) is one of the Super Clocked EVGA GTX 580s. If you tend to OC, the SC versions should have more headroom.

The SC is 1.5 GB, one of the others is a 3 GB, which would be better. I have read something about the CPU being the bottleneck in some cases, is my CPU the bottleneck with those cards?
Score
February 4, 2012 2:07:19 AM

Sam98 said:
That's good to know, but I don't have any of that Corsair product, I bought the best reviewed product they had. My memory is Corsair XMS3 3x4 GB DDR3 2000 MHz..

What I meant to say was not that there is nothing worth anything in their product line.

What I meant to say is that if you use so many Corsair products, you are increasing your risk of parts failure substantially.

Most people who review things don't have the tools to review the thing they are reviewing properly.

RMA rates are hard to fake, though. Retailers don't get this crazy idea that they should report incorrectly based on the manufacturer letting them market their RAM. Reviewers often have such ideas that because they are given something to review for free they should automatically give it a good review.

Your Corsair XMS RAM line clearly appears on the most RMAd list many times as I have shown.

If you don't care about the huge numbers of people returning their RAM because it doesn't work right a very large percentage of the time, oh well have fun.

Not like I am not trying to minimize your risk of parts failure or anything.
Score
February 4, 2012 3:20:07 AM

Sam98 said:
The SC is 1.5 GB, one of the others is a 3 GB, which would be better. I have read something about the CPU being the bottleneck in some cases, is my CPU the bottleneck with those cards?

The amount of video RAM depends on the resolution you game at. If you plan on doing more than 1920x1080 or more than one monitor, go for the extrat RAM. My 2 GTX 570s at 1920x1080 haven't met their match for memory yet.
Score
February 4, 2012 11:36:56 AM

clutchc said:
The amount of video RAM depends on the resolution you game at. If you plan on doing more than 1920x1080 or more than one monitor, go for the extrat RAM. My 2 GTX 570s at 1920x1080 haven't met their match for memory yet.

Thanks for the help, I may go with the EVGA 3 GB card, I did plan to add a second monitor.

Edit..After looking into the 3 GB versions, the Ultra cards require two 8 pin and one 6 pin power connectors each, so I would only be able to run one card with my PSU. I think the OC version would fit my build better, then I could add a second card later if I wanted. Also, the tests showed that the 3 GB versions didn't seem to make much difference except a couple of games at max resolution.
Score
February 4, 2012 11:58:54 AM

I use a Corsair Power Supply, and Corsair Vengeance RAM and both are running fine.
I ran MemTest86+ and all 8GBs of ram showed up with no errors. Got them on sale for $36 on Newegg
Score
February 4, 2012 4:14:54 PM

SingingThroughTheStorm said:
I use a Corsair Power Supply, and Corsair Vengeance RAM and both are running fine.
I ran MemTest86+ and all 8GBs of ram showed up with no errors. Got them on sale for $36 on Newegg

You were one of the lucky ones. Is that supposed to prove anything?

Anecdotal evidence doesn't beat empirical evidence, unless you are in politics.
Score
February 4, 2012 5:18:14 PM

Raiddinn said:
You were one of the lucky ones. Is that supposed to prove anything?

Anecdotal evidence doesn't beat empirical evidence, unless you are in politics.

Are you the forums Corsair basher? In the link you provided, Corsair had only a slightly higher failure rate than the other, so called best, manufacturers. The failure rate was well within an acceptable range. It certainly wasn't 5 to 10 percent like other products. Give it a rest already. :pfff: 
Score
February 4, 2012 7:53:03 PM

I bash a lot of things, particularly the ones that don't work right or fail often, like Corsair products.

If you cared to help people accomplish those things, you would also bash Corsair.

Since you obviously don't care about having a computer that works right, I will indeed give it a rest.
Score
February 4, 2012 9:01:39 PM

Sam98 said:
Thanks for the help, I may go with the EVGA 3 GB card, I did plan to add a second monitor.

Edit..After looking into the 3 GB versions, the Ultra cards require two 8 pin and one 6 pin power connectors each, so I would only be able to run one card with my PSU. I think the OC version would fit my build better, then I could add a second card later if I wanted. Also, the tests showed that the 3 GB versions didn't seem to make much difference except a couple of games at max resolution.

That "classified" model is unreal. Imagine the power it must draw at max load if it requires an 8/8/6 pin connection. Unless all those connectors are for sales bling... ;) 

Tri-SLI would require something like this:
http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=...

Yikes!

If you get the urge to go bigger though, check out a PSU calculator like this one:
http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/
Score
February 6, 2012 1:19:10 AM

That is 19 amp input, most wall outlets are 15 amp, there are 20 amp outlets though. So it's getting to the point you need to rewire the house to run a PC? :o 
Score
February 6, 2012 1:30:26 AM

I ran the watt calculator and it showed 777, guess the 850 was the right choice.
Score
February 8, 2012 10:59:29 PM

I ordered the EVGA GTX 580 SC from Amazon, they have a $30 rebate until Friday, got it for $461 including shipping after the rebate. I can fire this bad boy up when it gets here! :bounce: 
Score
February 9, 2012 3:29:41 AM

I have never heard of anyone having to re-wire their house to use even the highest end gaming PCs.

Unless my electricial knowledge is woefully lacking, watts = volts x amps. The wall outlets, iirc, are working at 115v, x 15 amps that is something like 1700w as a rough estimate?

I have never heard of any computers needing more than that, even when you are talking about the wattage coming out of the wall, not the wattage inside the PC. At 80% minimum efficiency you would be looking at almost 1500w from the PC to get 1700 from the wall.

Using that much power is hard to do. Especially if you consider that most 600w PSUs are actually putting out more like 300w in reality.

I honestly don't think you have to worry too much about it.

Also, just wanted to point it out in case there is any thing unclear about the point, you made the better decision to buy a high quality brand moreso than you made the better decision to buy any random wattage.

My 650w can do more than 850w without breaking. Many 850ws can't do anywhere near 650w without breaking. The brand has a lot more to do with performance than the wattage on the label.

Unlike some things, you almost always get the value you pay for with PSUs. A $20 PSU that said 200w on the label and a $20 PSU that said 1200w on the label would probably put out about the same power when you hooked them up to a PC.
Score
February 9, 2012 9:06:54 PM

Raiddinn said:
I have never heard of anyone having to re-wire their house to use even the highest end gaming PCs.

Unless my electricial knowledge is woefully lacking, watts = volts x amps. The wall outlets, iirc, are working at 115v, x 15 amps that is something like 1700w as a rough estimate?

I have never heard of any computers needing more than that, even when you are talking about the wattage coming out of the wall, not the wattage inside the PC. At 80% minimum efficiency you would be looking at almost 1500w from the PC to get 1700 from the wall.

Using that much power is hard to do. Especially if you consider that most 600w PSUs are actually putting out more like 300w in reality.

I honestly don't think you have to worry too much about it.

Also, just wanted to point it out in case there is any thing unclear about the point, you made the better decision to buy a high quality brand moreso than you made the better decision to buy any random wattage.

My 650w can do more than 850w without breaking. Many 850ws can't do anywhere near 650w without breaking. The brand has a lot more to do with performance than the wattage on the label.

Unlike some things, you almost always get the value you pay for with PSUs. A $20 PSU that said 200w on the label and a $20 PSU that said 1200w on the label would probably put out about the same power when you hooked them up to a PC.

You must be special, your 650 works better than all the 850's. :ange: 

I'm guessing that 1250 draws 19 amps at full load, otherwise they wouldn't have rated it that way. And with some people having three graphics cards in their system, that can easily go over 700 watts by itself.
Score
February 10, 2012 12:34:31 AM

Not special, just a lot of things matter more than the wattage on the label.

Cheapy 850ws abound. In fact most PSUs are cheapy ones.

Even if people had 4 graphics cards each doing 200w that is still a lot of distance to cover to hit 1200w. It is not easy for a full system without video cards to add up to 400w.
Score
February 11, 2012 7:17:00 PM

Best answer selected by Sam98.
Score
February 11, 2012 10:15:36 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!