Thoughts on home build, mineral oil submerged system

lordjarlson

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
Alright, guys here is the story. I Had an old computer that always ran hot that one day had power supply went out in it. Well, I had had it with that computer so I built a new one while the old rig collected dust. I was cruising the net and found out about oil submerging your hardware. I figured these are still good parts this would be a good way to still get a bit of use out of them before they are so old that they aren't compatible with anything. Well I was silly and didn't bother to see if the parts actually worked and found out that the processor fried in it. So, now I have a aquarium filled with 9.5 gallons of mineral oil and no computer. Here is the point of the story; I still want to put a system in there because I think its cool and I want to have an extra rig for when my friends come over.

Here is what I came up with:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3
Processor: Intel BX80623G530
Video Card: Gigabyte GV-R677SL-1GD
Memory: G-Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL (2 sets)

All found on new egg, when i priced this it was around $422.00
Looking for any input on my choice.
If you are going to suggest new parts keep in mind I'm only looking to spend around $450.00 on these four components, I want this to be an Intel build. I really only want to buy Gigabyte, and if at all possible Patriot memory.

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I'd definitely look for a low tdp igp solution like the AMD Llano. Mineral Oil does a good job at disappointing heat and at 9.5 gallons you've got alot. The problem is taking that heat from the oil back into the air is a slow process. Short of running an external radiator/pump ala water cooling you'll find that the longer the pc is left on, the faster the oil heats. The lower you keep your overall TDP the longer this process takes.

Puget Systems has been doing this for 4-5 years and they have a great section regarding it. I'd look more at treating this project as a cool HTPC kind of setup.