Sign in with
Your question

Fan Setup For Fractal R3-Overclocked

Last response: in Components
May 19, 2012 4:36:24 PM

Hello,

I'm almost set on my build. It is as follows:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.90 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R3 Black Pearl ATX Mid Tower Case ($114.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 600W ATX12V Power Supply ($66.79 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($24.97 @ Newegg)
Total: $833.48
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-05-19 12:32 EDT-0400)

I also already have an external HDD and an SSD (internal).

So, as you can see, I'm getting the Fractal R3... so I'm going for quietness. I'm also on a budget. Now, I'll be overclocking my components, so they are going to need some more cooling. Here's some relevant info:

- It'll be on carpet
- It'll be on the ground (duh), possibly/probably under a desk
- The average temps at my house are 70F, but can get up to 80F in the summer
- No side fans. They increase noise by a lot
- The desktop will not be near a wall (exhaust won't go into the wall)
- There is a fair amount of dust

So, I'm going to need a high-pressure system. I'm thinking of adding one more intake above the stock intake and calling it a day (using a Cougar 140mm fan). However, will this be sufficient? I'm wary of adding more, since I need it to be quiet. I could put it under a desk, so the top fans would be a little muffled, but the desk is hard (wooden), so the sound would bounce off (into carpet, but it wouldn't exactly get muffled much). What would you suggest?

Thanks!
May 20, 2012 12:34:24 AM

Do I smell?

Anyway, I have another question. Would it be a bad idea to put it on carpet? I don't think it would be up off the carpet completely. Also, the PSU intake should be through the bottom, right?
m
l
May 20, 2012 1:55:44 AM

Your planning seems solid to me. A lot of people will tell you to put your case on a solid surface, and while that may offer some airflow improvement, I don't think having your system on carpet will hurt you. My system is on carpet, and my airflow and temps are fine.

I'm in a similar boat as you -- going for a quiet build. I picked up an Antec P280, and I'm using the stock case cooling (no side fans) with a Corsair Hydro H100 for CPU cooling. My room environment is similar to yours (system under the desk, similar ambient temps, etc.), and cooling is fine. The system is also very quiet. I've got my PSU fan pointing down, blowing to the bottom of the case.

The best recommendation I can offer is stick with your current plan and then check your temps once you've got everything put together -- especially if you're planning on overclocking. The components you are using in your build are all solid, so I don't think you'll run into any trouble. You can also pick up additional fans in the future if your temps are a problem.

Best wishes on your new build!
m
l
Related resources
May 20, 2012 3:08:01 AM

I have the R3 running a 2500k @ 4.5ghz with 2 GTX 560 ti 448 cores in SLI, and system temp is around 29C. My gpu's idle @ around 40C and 35C at 50% fan speed. I have 1 intake at the top, 2 intakes in the front, and an exhaust in a push-pull at the rear. 3 of the 4 fans are Gelid Wing 120mm's and they are relatively quiet, but kind of expensive. I don't know if this is the best arrangement of fans, but this might give you an idea?
m
l
May 20, 2012 3:10:29 AM

How's your sound? Compared to silence.
m
l
May 20, 2012 3:51:41 AM

It is relatively quiet. Most of the noise I hear is from the fan that came with my CPU cooler which makes a slight humming sound, but overall the system is quiet.
m
l
May 20, 2012 3:55:14 AM

But... HOW quiet? >.>

For example, can you hear your own breathing over the sound of it? That kind of thing.
m
l
May 20, 2012 4:29:41 AM

lol, at most you'll hear the sound of the air flowing through the case. You'll barely hear it granted you put silent fans in there as well.

I personally am not hellbent on getting mine completely silent. My computer is in my room, and I normally have the chassis fans set at full speed with the side panel off. I have no problem sleeping at night with it on. Maybe that helps?
m
l
May 20, 2012 4:43:50 AM

Actually, it does... a lot! Last question: what do you mean by having a "push pull exhaust" fan? One fan can only either push or pull, last time I checked... right? Or do you mean that the top fan pulls air in and the back fan pushes it out again?

m
l
May 20, 2012 6:08:34 AM

I have a liquid cooler and fans on both sides of the radiator.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 20, 2012 10:13:02 AM

As long as you dont have any bottom ( floor ) mounted fans like the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... you'll be fine on the carpet as far as airflow is concerned . The cougar fans run quiet so that should be good as well . Depending on your fan speed you may still here the air being drawn in through the intake . Whoosh is ok .. its the whirr and whine of cheap fans to be avoided and as emubite said check your temps once your up and running .. best of luck :) 
m
l
!