Sign in with
Your question

Ivy bridge or Haswell?

Last response: in CPUs
May 19, 2012 5:19:00 PM

After buying an AMD phenom ii, I finally realize how slow it is for gaming. Running something like HD7850 in crossfire bottlenecks. I was wondering, should I get Ivy bridge now or wait for Haswell to come out? Of course, I wasted ALL my money on computer hardwares and I'm literally broke at the moment. I can probably save enough money to buy Ivy bridge by the end of the summer. I don't really want it so fast, but will I notice any performance between these two CPU architecture?

More about : ivy bridge haswell

a c 283 à CPUs
May 19, 2012 5:29:15 PM

Just wait and save up for Haswell. Ivy would be a nice upgrade, but if you're gonna have to wait until the end of summer anyway, I'd say just wait a bit longer for Haswell.
May 19, 2012 5:31:55 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Just wait and save up for Haswell. Ivy would be a nice upgrade, but if you're gonna have to wait until the end of summer anyway, I'd say just wait a bit longer for Haswell.

When I upgrade to haswell, Should I throw away the junky phenom ii or make a HTPC for my parents?
Related resources
a c 283 à CPUs
May 19, 2012 5:34:22 PM

fengpwns said:
When I upgrade to haswell, Should I throw away the junky phenom ii or make a HTPC for my parents?

I wouldn't just throw it away, no, lol. Yeah, it would work great as an HTPC CPU (better than needed for that purpose, really).
May 19, 2012 5:59:54 PM

You can part out your rig and use the money for an IB now, or if you want to wait, then might as well wait for Haswell.
May 19, 2012 8:49:56 PM

commandermuffin said:
You can part out your rig and use the money for an IB now, or if you want to wait, then might as well wait for Haswell.

I'll try to wait for haswell then. I use to like AMD because of the price. But after seeing the performance of phenom II on crossfire, it dissapoints me. I guess I'm going to wait for Intel haswell's i5 to come out.
a b à CPUs
May 19, 2012 11:29:52 PM

Hi :) 

WHICH Phenom ii ??

The top of the range ones will EASILY run your mid range graphics cards in crossfire....

Specs and Games ?

All the best Brett :) 
May 20, 2012 12:55:04 AM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

WHICH Phenom ii ??

The top of the range ones will EASILY run your mid range graphics cards in crossfire....

Specs and Games ?

All the best Brett :) 

phenom ii 945(3ghz). I went ahead and got a hd7850 and borrowed my friends hd78450.in gta, i only hit somewhere about 30-40fps. Remember, hd7850 and gtx 570 have similliar performance. You dont want to know what I've gone through. I felt some studder in skyrim and gta. Im running on 1600x900.
!