Sign in with
Your question

Games that benefit the most from Crossfire!?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 4, 2011 11:59:45 PM

I was just wondering what games benefit the most from using crossfire!? I have been trying to find the answers in the forums or a link to a web-sight. I know FPS like MW3 must be at the top of the list, but what about games like RPGs... Skyrim?
December 5, 2011 2:47:52 AM

It depends on which card you want to Crossfire, and what resolution you want to play at. MW3 isn't that graphically intensive, most decent single GPUs can run it on maximum with little trouble. One of its selling points was getting 60FPS on the XBox 360, if it is that easy to run, you really don't need Crossfire for it. Skyrim tends to be very much CPU bound on ultra settings due to offloading the shadow rendering to the CPU, maybe a patch will fix this later on, but for now, the benefits of Crossfire may be limited unless you are already using a weaker card like a 5770 and you are considering adding a second.

Crossfire is generally most beneficial when used with higher end cards (6800 or 6900 series, if you are considering a card below that it is usually better to spend more for a stronger single GPU than 2 lesser GPUs, lower end Crossfire setups can run into microstuttering problems), at high resolutions (1920x1080 or higher), and on extremely graphically intensive games like Crysis, Crysis 2, Metro 2033 or Battlefield 3. The vast majority of titles usually won't benefit too much from a high end Crossfire setup unless you are playing at an extremely high resolution or are playing across multiple monitors.
m
l
December 5, 2011 3:29:55 AM

Thanks, that's what i am looking to do is run 3 monitors at least got two going now. Always wanted to try out the crossfire setup.
If I don't need the whole setup I am just going to make another computer from old parts and sell it or give it to a family member.
m
l
!