Overheating Problems :(

shashwat95

Honorable
May 19, 2012
Hola!
well the problem here is ... iwas first having a lot of problems with my power supplt so i got it repaced but the company .... the computer worked fine for only some time ... but now the cpu has started ovrheating without any reason .. i did not overclock .... i am using i5 650 core processor with stock cooler ... can someone tell me if the voltage under are optimum or are they not good ...

http://tinypic.com/r/am606u/6

When i see the Hardware monitoring in boot menu i get the rpm of my cpu fan as 1116 rpm .. is it slow?

Well the tempurature reaches 80c and beyond when stressing cpu with HEAVYLOAD software ....

Pearlmam

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
I am assuming that you are using the auto voltage setting in BIOS? The voltages seem to be typical for an auto setting and the temperatures also seem to be typical. So your CPU is fine. The auto setting , however, is overvolting your CPU. You can most likely lower the voltages at least by .1 volt and lower the temps by 10 degrees. Its a fun little project to pinpoint the lowest voltage your CPU can handle.

Search undervolting your CPU to figure out the procedure. I have an i7 and my choice in undervolting is Vdroop compensation ON, C-states ON (many people would tell you to turn C-states off, I disagree). You pick the voltage you want, turn on the computer, run the stress test. If your comp crashes, the voltage is too low. And that's it. You also want to beware of crashes at idle too. The voltage may be ok at load but they may be too low at idle. This is the reason for the C-states on my computer. Without them, my comp would crash at idle. C-states lowered my voltages even more, but whatever the hardware is doing beyond just lowing the voltages, it made my computer 100% stable.

shashwat95

Honorable
May 19, 2012

Hey thank you for the reply .. but can u attach your voltages report so that i will have something to refer to and it would be easier for me to understand :)

Pearlmam

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
Here is a screenshot of HWmonitor. Lets see if this works...

http://s15.postimage.org/ca79yviwr/HWmon.jpg

My temperatures are great. 50 degrees at full load and my CPU fan is not at 100%(its been awhile since I've tested). Undervolting, great airflow, and aftermarket cooler can get these temps. Notice the max and min Vcore. When you undervolt with Vdroop compensation ON, pick a voltage in BIOS, stress test and see what voltages you are getting at load. This is the point you are looking for: stable at load. Hopefully this will be stable at idle. Keeping C-states ON may help, that's the reason for the extremely low minimum Vcore. That is the idle voltage. I suggest everyone should undervolt, so good luck.

TRENDING THREADS