Closed Solved

VRAM 1GB or 2GB?

I am considering buying a new graphics card for my computer. Currently I have a ATI 5770 1GB, and am thinking about upgrading to a nvidia geforce 560 ti but I'm not sure whether to purchase a 1GB model or 2GB. I don't care what brand it is (EVGA, MSI, XFX, etc...) My monitor resolution is 1920x1200, and I usually tend to play games at full screen resolution(such as skyrim). People say it's good to have 2GB of VRAM at resolutions higher than 1920x1080, so would a 2GB be more beneficial than a 1GB?

System specs:
Amd Phenom ii x4 975 - 3.6ghz OC'd to 4.0ghz
4GB DDR3 RAM @ 1333Mhz
64GB solid state drive - Operating System
1TB barracuda 7200RPM hard drive
XFX radeon 5770 1GB
Thermaltake 750w psu.
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about vram
  1. Best answer
    People keep recommending 2gb of VRAM for 1920 x 1200 resolutions, but the evidence doesn't hold up. Check any review showing a 1 gb card vs a 2 gb card and there is absolutely NO performance benefit from the extra RAM.

For example, this chart shows a worst-case scenario, a game with one of the highest levels of memory usage at a resolution much higher than 1920 x 1200. There is no difference between the two 6950 cards, each with different amounts of memory. Save your money and get the 1 gb GTX 560 Ti.

2. ^+1

What motherboard do you have?

If you have crossfire capable motherboard I would suggest getting another 5770 and waiting it out for the new cards.
  3. its true i guess comparing to the latest games out right now and will in my guess for sometime games still be console restrictive. But there could be a new pc game out there coming that'll have huge sized textures and 1gb just slightly might not be enough.

If theres not too much of a price difference get the 2gb. Its better to have more than enough then not enough.
  4. Link us the 2GB version you want to get. As far as I know, they cost quite a bit more. There's no sense in paying $40 (or 20% more) for a game that may not even exist while you're still gaming with this card.
  5. Thanks for the replies, I looked into crossfire and SLI, but I don't have a compatible motherboard. I'm planning on buying a card that will last for 4 years, I bought my 5770 back in 2009. It looks like the 1GB will get the job done, thanks.
  6. Best answer selected by lbrobot.
  7. What's your motherboard? (You can PM me if this thread gets closed).
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product