Dell xps blu-ray dvd cannot run blu-ray disc

vinh_43

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
I just bought a dell xps 8300 equipped with blu-ray dvd which cannot run blu-ray discs.

PowerDVD displays an error message "This content is only allowed on a digital output. Ensure your display device use a DVI, HDMI or DisplayPort connector (Error code 0121

Please help!
Vinh Hamilton ON

Your problem is related to the DRM applied to BluRay content called HDCP. In order to display BluRay content you have to have and HDCP compliant graphics card and display. HDCP cannot be carried over VGA cable. You need DVI, HDMI or Display Port to transmit the HDCP signal. If your monitor only supports VGA output, it is not HDCP compliant and you will have to get a new display to play BluRay content. Most, but not all monitors with DVI will be HDCP compliant, and all monitors with HDMI will be. Check your display's documentation if you are not sure.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
AnyDVD HD will let you run BD content on any system.
A client of mine didn't have an HDCP compliant video card (though did have HDMI from the card, weird). AnyDVD HD fixed the copy protection so she could watch the movies she'd bought.

vinh_43

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011

I bought a HDMI cable for replacing a VGA cable (that came with the package) and now the Blu-Ray DVD reads and plays Blu-Ray Discs. It cost me additional CA$42+taxes. But it's OK. I am happy.
Many thanks to you all
Vinh, Ontario Canada

vinh_43

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011

I bought a HDMI cable for replacing a VGA cable (that came with the package) and now the Blu-Ray DVD reads and plays Blu-Ray Discs. It cost me additional CA$42+taxes. But it's OK. I am happy.
Many thanks to you all
Vinh, Ontario Canada