Advice on gaming rig. Budget 2000

533watts

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
So this is the system I've imagined for myself and i was hoping for some comments.

Optimistic purchase date: 1-2 weeks

System Usage most to least important: Gaming, Video Editing, other less demanding stuff.

Parts not required: monitor, speakers, mouse, keyboard, OS, Optical + HD Drives. PSU.

Prefereed wesbites for parts: Newegg or Amazon.

No preferences or loyalties to a particular brand

Overclocking: Definitely Have an H100 CPU watercooler I'll be using from an old build.

SLI or Crossfire: In the future; yes.

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080, 1360x768 extended display

--------------------------------------

Parts:

Processor: Core I7- 3930K

Motherboard: EVGA X79 FTW

Graphics Card: Radeon HD 7970 XFX Black Edition

RAM: ??? Haven't picked yet.

Case: ??? Suggestions? Full tower only plz.

So all i need figured out is the ram. I guess I was mainly looking for some comments on weather or not I should wait for Nvidias 600 series. Or the Ivy Bridge processors. Is waiting worth it? Ivy bridge is coming in just 2 months and the 600 series release date will be announced anytime now and then their be out soon.

I ask these questions because the systems i build are built to last. I get the very best to play the very best as long as possible. My current system lasted me about 2.5 years. Not to bad for a computer running the very best at near best settings. But she's getting old. time to retire her. (I call my computer her because their expensive and costly to maintain. Or at the least time consuming, not because i have a personnel relationship with it just FYI :) )

Also all the parts listed are not set in stone. I have a pretty big flexible budget so throw parts at me that are better in your opinion.

EDIT: one last thing i forgot to ask. Newegg.com seems to be out of stock for most of the parts I want to get. I'm not familiar with newegg but they have great prices. So my question is how often can i expect for them to get restocked? Will i have to wait a single short week or a long dreaded month?

EDIT: One last thing. I hope. My Current Graphics card is the GTX 295 OC. According to Wiki and other sources it coughs up the same number of pixels (GP/s) as the 7970. In fact the 7970 is less. GTX 295 = 32.2, 7970 = 29.6. Texture GT/s on the 7970 is not significantly higher than the GTX295. Are their other factors that I'm not aware of? I was told the difference would be night and day but these figures don't support that. # of transistors is different, more than 2X for the 7970.

Thanks for your help.

A few things. If you plan on o/c then I would go with an 1155 set up...better bang for your buck and doesn't run as hot, also I would hold out for Ivy Bridge and take advantage of the PCI-3.0 along with a 1155 Gen 3 board.

As far as full tower vs mid tower...Corsair and Cooler Master mid towers are as large if not larger than most other manufacturers full towers. Corsair 500R in white or black is worth taking a look at imo along with the Corsair 600R's or even the 400R. Again though if you look at the specs/size on those Corsair mid towers along with the CM mid towers you will see mid tower vs full tower means pretty much nothing these days other than name branding.

533watts

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
Thanks for the quick response. I actually really like the look of the 650D case. bit of a price tag just for the case but it looks really nice so i might go for it.

As for the 1155 setup I like the idea cause its better to OC but I'll be sacrificing Quad memory with enthusiast level Ivy Bridge processors. Those type of Ivy Bridge processors if I'm not mistaken only run on the 2011 socket. And if that is the case then I'll stick with the 2011 setup. Unless of course their are other benefits to the 1155 setup over the 2011.

ewood

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009

Quick sync. Depending what software you use quick sync might actually be faster at some tasks than a 6core sb E CPU. Of course in other tasks the opposite will be true however you can negate the drawbacks of only having 4 cores with a big oc. As for quad chanel memory there are very few real world scenarios where it will make any difference. Running virtual machines is one of the few I have heard of so I wouldn't make that a deal breaker especially when an 1155 build would save over 300$ that you could invest in a ssd which would make video editing much snappier and enjoyable.

533watts

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
It is true though that the enthusiast level Ivy Bridge processors will be only be for the 2011 socket right?

Also what about the Nvidia 600 series? Is it going to blow away Radeon 7000 series? or is it roughly the same?