Wireless connection shown only when near to router

jpyro

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
hi all
i hav a dell inspiron 1564 laptop. wireless connections show only when the lap is very close to the router. will i hav to change my wireless card?? if i hav to which would be better; a internal wireless card or a wifi dongle?? i hav a 'dell wireless 1397 WLAN Mini card"

It's hard to see how that happened unless both hinges broke and the lid snapped backwards. Whichever matters not now - it's cheaper to buy a dongle or preferably, a PCMCIA card (won't bend like a USB dongle might) than rewiring the wireless chip to the aerial.

jpyro

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010

i dont know much about the PCMCIA card....
where do we connect it???? can it be connected on my lap (Inspiron 1564)??
can u plz explain??

You're quite right but how extraordinary. What does Dell think it's playing at? It's all down to a dongle then. I have aerial wires here from breaking laptops - if you're in the UK I'd cheerfully pop one in the post to you but it's a screen out job to fit.

I seriously recommend a dongle but I still can't figure out how the cable got broken in the first p[lace..

jpyro

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010

Actually, I am in India. And about the cable, it was my fault. When i replaced the power panel last time, the cable got jammed.

instanthelpdoteu

Distinguished
May 29, 2011
Open the wireless router box and examine the contents. You should have the router, a setup CD-ROM, a network cable and a power adapter. If any of these are missing call the company on the box.

Put the setup CD in the computer. A screen will come up and ask you if you want to start the setup. All this CD is doing is taking you step by step through the hook-up process. Click Start setup.

Choose which language you want to continue in from a drop down menu and click next.

Go over the user license agreement and check the box that says, "I accept this agreement." When you are ready click next.

Allow the program time to check your internet connection. When it is done it will say, "Check successful." Click next and you will be ready to begin hooking up your new wireless router.

Remove the internet cable from your computer. It will be the only one that goes in to a phone jack. Then plug it in to the wireless router in to the yellow spot. Each spot is colored for your convenience, but it should also be the only spot that fits the plug so you can't get it wrong even if you try. When you have done that click next.

Get the network cable you found in your box. The cable should be blue. Plug one end of the cable in to the blue spot of your wireless router and the other end in to your computer. It will only fit in one spot so don't worry. Click next when you are done this part.

Plug the power adapter into the wireless router. It goes right next to the blue wire, and will only fit in that one spot. The other end should be plugged in to an outlet or power strip. Click next and wait for the system to check if the router is hooked-up properly. If it is hooked-up properly it will say, "Configuration Complete." Click next.

Click next to close the setup wizard and begin using the new wireless router. This process should have only taken you a total of five minutes. If you have any problems contact the company listed in your instruction booklet.

instanthelp