Hi, I'm going to be building a new gaming system & listed below are my hardware selection so far, & I have a couple of querries:
Asus P8Z68-V Pro/gen3
Coolmaster HAF X
G.Skill RipjawsX F3-12800CL8D
Gigabyte ATI 6970 OC
Antec TruePower 650w
1. Are there any conflict issues with my selections?
2. Are there any improvements on my selections?
3. Would there be any great benefit in running 2x 6870 as opposed to the single 6970 OC? 6807 currently priced @Aus$203 each & 6970 @ Aus$380.
Last week they were $20 cheaper ..... but their quality has made them very attractive and my guess is that demand is starting to outstrip supply. ..... both get 9.5 performance rat8ngs from jo9nnyguru.com
If the goal is gaming, the price premium you're paying for the 2600k is wasted .... the 2500k makes more sense if budget is an issue.
Alternately, the HAF-X / XFX Combo costs $280.,....This antec pairing is $15 cheaper and is extremely quiet and cool running.....having built with both on several occasions, I prefer the DF over the HAF-x
Guru3D uses the following games in their test suite, COD-MW, Bad Company 2, Dirt 2, Far Cry 2, Metro 2033, Dawn of Discovery, Crysis Warhead. Total fps (summing fps in each game @ 1920 x 1200) for the various options in parenthesis (single card / SL or CF) are tabulated below along with their cost in dollars per frame single card - CF or SLI:
(2) 6870's get ya 701 fps at 49 cents per frame
(1) factory OC'd 6950 get ya 484 fps at 50 cents per frame
(2) factory OC'd 6950's get ya 759 fps at 63 cents per frame
(1) 6970 get ya 526 fps at 61 cents per frame
(2) 6970's get ya 825 fps at 78 cents per frame
(1) factory OC'd 560 get ya 495 fps at 43 cents per frame (2) factory OC'd 560's get ya 862 fps at 50 cents per frame
The 6870's are the clear winner at just 49 cents per frame and 701 fps.....next up (that is, beating 701 fps) would be the twin 560's at 50 cents per frame and 862 fps.