Sign in with
Your question

Asus Xonar vs Recon3D

Last response: in Components
May 20, 2012 2:38:47 AM

I know i asked this before, but i wanted a more clarified answer.

I been looking at the Recon3D (currently 79.99) on NewEgg
and the Asus Xonar DX (Currently 71.99) on NewEgg

They are similar price, but i have come across a ton of hate for creative cards from
people i have talked to. I will MOSTLY play games with whatever i get, use a 2.1 Onkyo setup and
a gaming headset (just stereo but going to purchase a 5.1 or 7.1 at some point)

I know Creative has EAX 5.0 and some other features other cards do not have.
But will it really make a difference over the Asus xonar?

Someone, just state which would be better for my needs with a clear reason why and not an opinion
of bad experiences or being biased.

Thanks for helping me out btw =]

p.s. (other suggestions for cards around that range is also appreciated)

More about : asus xonar recon3d

May 20, 2012 4:17:25 PM

Firstly, most hit games now do not use EAX anymore. Only if you are still playing some legacy games and then you will need EAX 5.0.

Secondly, if you are strict about good sound quality, the Xonar DX has a SNR of 116dB while the Recon3D series only has that of onboard audio level.

m
l
May 20, 2012 9:38:23 PM

staytuned said:
Firstly, most hit games now do not use EAX anymore. Only if you are still playing some legacy games and then you will need EAX 5.0.

Secondly, if you are strict about good sound quality, the Xonar DX has a SNR of 116dB while the Recon3D series only has that of onboard audio level.

So.. is the snr the only reason for the xonar dx? Or is there more i should know about
m
l
Related resources
May 21, 2012 9:19:28 AM

The Xonar DX also has good sound performance on THD+N, frequency response, etc. etc. while Recon series does not list them on spec.

As for the feature side, Xonar DX incorporates full Dolby Home Theater features including Dolby Digital Live, Dolby Headphone, Dolby Pro LogicII, Dolby Virtual Speaker, and the Recon3D is mainly THX based with additional Dolby Digital.

Hope these are helpful for your selection.
m
l
May 21, 2012 4:31:48 PM

staytuned said:
The Xonar DX also has good sound performance on THD+N, frequency response, etc. etc. while Recon series does not list them on spec.

As for the feature side, Xonar DX incorporates full Dolby Home Theater features including Dolby Digital Live, Dolby Headphone, Dolby Pro LogicII, Dolby Virtual Speaker, and the Recon3D is mainly THX based with additional Dolby Digital.

Hope these are helpful for your selection.

Only one concern, when it comes down to it, 95% of the time i play games on my pc.
Not just FPS but pretty much every single genre available (except sports) and
usually use a headset

Will the Xonar DX perform exceptionally better than my onboard audo (realtek hd)?

Also suit all im looking for? (Positional audio and clarity)

I just don't want the audio to sound good in some aspects but then when
the game is playing a soundtrack in a level, ends up sounding flat and crappy
(would really ruin the immersion)

Sorry if i sound stupid when it comes to sound cards.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
May 21, 2012 4:42:23 PM

The DX is frankly the best card out there for its price right now. For the majority of people who ask, its the card I recommend.
m
l
May 21, 2012 4:50:16 PM

So for gaming, i really wouldn't have any complaints?

HT | OMEGA STRIKER 7.1
ASUS Xonar DX 7.1
Creative Labs SB0880 PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
Recon 3D Pcie (not fatality, only put in here because i been considering it)

Out of these 4, for gaming, DX is still better? if so, i'm purchasing today =D

(i added the x-fi titanium because alot of reviews says the recon3d is a step backwards from that line of cards, if so, is that still a good choice?)
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
May 21, 2012 6:31:52 PM

The DX and Striker use the same chipset; the DX is modified to use the PCI-E bus [and thus requires a floppy power connector], but is a slightly newer model. [The ASUS Xonar D1 is the PCI varient of the DX, FYI].

The DX versus the Titanium is a hard to call matchup, since the Titanium is probably Creatives best all around card. In terms of components, the DX is a slightly better card, but the Titanium's sound signature is more geared toward gaming by default. I'd still go with the DX though.

The Recon lineup, by contrast, it utter garbage. Its output quality is worse then onboard for crying out loud, and lacks features that have been standard for the past 5 years.
m
l
May 21, 2012 7:16:28 PM

I been using my friends recon3D for the passed few days to test it out, i will mention i am in no way a audiophile. It does sound better than my onboard, the dedicated headphone port is awesome because i can just switch in the settings from my headphones back to speakers.

Another point i been using teamspeak on diablo 3 and with the crystalvoice setting i am apparently easier to hear.

Does the X-fi titanium or any others offer the same?

im a little put off by the xonar dx because my modular psu didn't come with the floppy power cord that it requires.

m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
May 21, 2012 8:04:15 PM

The Titanium and DX have the same features the Recon series has [named differently; different tech]. For example, "scout mode" on the Recon lineup [really just an EQ tweak] exists on ASUS cards via the pre-defined "FPS" EQ setting.

As far as the DX and the floppy connector go, the D1 is basically the same chip, on PCI, without needing the connector.

While the DX is a better card then the Recon, if you already have one, it probably isn't worth the purchase price to upgrade.
m
l
May 21, 2012 8:12:26 PM

gamerk316 said:
The Titanium and DX have the same features the Recon series has [named differently; different tech]. For example, "scout mode" on the Recon lineup [really just an EQ tweak] exists on ASUS cards via the pre-defined "FPS" EQ setting.

As far as the DX and the floppy connector go, the D1 is basically the same chip, on PCI, without needing the connector.

While the DX is a better card then the Recon, if you already have one, it probably isn't worth the purchase price to upgrade.

Thanks for the advice, i am goin to test out this one a little more than make a decision by tonight (most of the sales end tonight, lol)
m
l
!