Starving Student needs advice

G

I curently have an T-Bird 800 on an MSI K7T Pro 2-A, 128 MB PC-133, 30 GB Fujitsu HD, and a Geforce 2 MX, Me and a friend of mine were discussing doing some video work, just for fun, recording some silly videos and stuff, So basically i'm looking for a card with like a TV-In and TV-Out, so we can just record the clips on a camcorder and feed it to the 'puter through a normal set of video cables, Also I'd like to TV out basically just to play games on my TV cuz I have a nice long cord on my controller (Firestorm Dual power or something can't remember the exact name, BEAUTY controller) so I can sit on my bed and play video cames all day :) ANYWAY I'm a poor poor boy and Tom's Solution that I read earlier that was "ONLY" $1000 or something, is Way beyond what I'm looking to pay. So I need advice from those of you who know what i'm talking about, not those of you who are going to preach about $50,000 Video editing workstations, Quality is not the concern here, as long as its viewable its ok with me.

TIA
Andre

G

Sounds like you want to replace that Geforce MX with an ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon. $210 and up at www.pricewatch.com

G

You could get Video-in/out from a cheap PCI video capture card which goes in next to your current MX. However, if you really want games on the TV (IMHO, there is no point), then I agree with the Radeon AIW, or the cheaper Radeon VIVO (which doesn't have a TV tuner or the advanced live TV pause stuff).

It's possible your MX may already have an SVHS port on the back - have you checked? You can convert this to a SCART with a very simple cable :)

~ I'm not AMD biased, I just think their chips are better. ~

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Radeon 64 VIVO has composite video in which now works flawless. I can record 720x480 mpegII files with 16bit stereo sound with less than 3% frame loss on my 884mhz T-Bird. At lower resolutions I have zero frame loss. The AIW has in addition SVHS In. The Radeon 64 is a nice card but a TV card with Video in maybe cheaper and would work fine with your MX setup.