Customizing Windows Explorer

Hi,

I'm trying to set a default view for Windows Explorer but
everytime I make my changes Windows doesn't seem to save
the settings.

I would like Windows Explorer to open with the Explorer
Bar on the left with Folder view as the default. I've
tried saving the view under options but this doesn't seem
to work. If I close Windows Explorer it just goes back
to the default view before I made my changes.

Also is there a way to have Windows Explorer default to a
certain directory?

Any help is much appreciated...Thanks.
6 answers Last reply
More about customizing windows explorer

    Kenny wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to set a default view for Windows Explorer but
    > everytime I make my changes Windows doesn't seem to save
    > the settings.
    >
    > I would like Windows Explorer to open with the Explorer
    > Bar on the left with Folder view as the default. I've
    > tried saving the view under options but this doesn't seem
    > to work. If I close Windows Explorer it just goes back
    > to the default view before I made my changes.
    >
    > Also is there a way to have Windows Explorer default to a
    > certain directory?
    >
    > Any help is much appreciated...Thanks.

    Open Tools/Folder Options/General Tab. Make sure that Use Windows classic
    folders and Open each folder in the same windowis selected. Click the View
    Tab and make sure that Make sure that Display simple folder view....... and
    Remember each folders view settings are selected.

    Open a folder and configure it the way you wish and then click the Apply to
    all folders button in that dialog box.

    To force Windows Explorer to open to a certain folder, right click the
    Windows Explorer shortcut and select Properties. In the Target line, enter
    the following path:

    %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e, C:\<folder Name>

    Note the space between the exe and /

    Where C:\<folder name> is the path to the folder you want opened when the
    shortcut is clicked.

    --

    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

    Ronnie Vernon MVP wrote:

    > Kenny wrote:
    >> I would like Windows Explorer to open with the Explorer Bar on the
    >> left with Folder view as the default. I've tried saving the view
    >> under options but this doesn't seem to work. If I close Windows
    >> Explorer it just goes back to the default view before I made my
    >> changes.
    >>
    >> Also is there a way to have Windows Explorer default to a certain
    >> directory?
    >

    > Open Tools/Folder Options/General Tab. Make sure that Use Windows
    > classic folders and Open each folder in the same windowis selected.
    > Click the View Tab and make sure that Make sure that Display simple
    > folder view....... and Remember each folders view settings are
    > selected.
    >
    > Open a folder and configure it the way you wish and then click the
    > Apply to all folders button in that dialog box.
    >
    > To force Windows Explorer to open to a certain folder, right click
    > the Windows Explorer shortcut and select Properties. In the Target
    > line, enter the following path:
    >
    > %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e, C:\<folder Name>
    >
    > Note the space between the exe and /
    >
    > Where C:\<folder name> is the path to the folder you want opened when
    > the shortcut is clicked.

    If I want Windows Explorer to open from a shortcut, with a view of my C
    drive folders, would I use the command line above minus the <folder
    name>? TIA....
    bj

    chicagofan wrote:
    > Ronnie Vernon MVP wrote:
    >
    >> Kenny wrote:
    >>> I would like Windows Explorer to open with the Explorer Bar on the
    >>> left with Folder view as the default. I've tried saving the view
    >>> under options but this doesn't seem to work. If I close Windows
    >>> Explorer it just goes back to the default view before I made my
    >>> changes.
    >>>
    >>> Also is there a way to have Windows Explorer default to a certain
    >>> directory?
    >>

    >> Open Tools/Folder Options/General Tab. Make sure that Use Windows
    >> classic folders and Open each folder in the same windowis selected.
    >> Click the View Tab and make sure that Make sure that Display simple
    >> folder view....... and Remember each folders view settings are
    >> selected.
    >>
    >> Open a folder and configure it the way you wish and then click the
    >> Apply to all folders button in that dialog box.
    >>
    >> To force Windows Explorer to open to a certain folder, right click
    >> the Windows Explorer shortcut and select Properties. In the Target
    >> line, enter the following path:
    >>
    >> %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e, C:\<folder Name>
    >>
    >> Note the space between the exe and /
    >>
    >> Where C:\<folder name> is the path to the folder you want opened when
    >> the shortcut is clicked.
    >

    > If I want Windows Explorer to open from a shortcut, with a view of my
    > C drive folders, would I use the command line above minus the <folder
    > name>? TIA....
    > bj

    Yes, enter %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e, C: to open with the C: drive
    expanded.
    --

    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

    Neil

Configuration Windows Explorer Default Customization Windows XP