Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is my CPU bad?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
May 20, 2012 4:28:24 AM

I just built a new computer and it's locking up and shutting down. It seems to happen randomly. No blue screen or error message--it just locks up and after like a minute or so it shuts down. I ran memtest86+ and it finished two passes with no errors. I thought it might be a hard drive, but then it locked up while I was in the bios. So is the cpu bad? What are the signs of a bad cpu? Temperatures seem normal 35-40 idle 40-50 light load 50-60 moderate load . . . These are the parts I used.

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Intel Core i7-3770K
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H
MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II

Is maybe the power supply not providing enough power?

Thanks.

More about : cpu bad

May 20, 2012 4:40:20 AM

that psu is plenty. if you overclocked try clearing cmos and revert to stock.

are you able to enter bios?
m
l
May 20, 2012 4:49:12 AM

yeah, I can enter bios. I can run windows. It works. It just shuts down after it's been running for a while. I didn't overclock. The only thing I changed was the memory timings, but it was crashing before I changed them. I just used the extreme memory profile because the timings said 11-11-11-28 and the ram says it is 9-9-9-24. When I changed to the extreme memory profile it changed the timings automatically . . . but it has still crashed once since I changed the memory settings.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 20, 2012 5:01:08 AM

still sounds like a hard drive honestly.
m
l
May 20, 2012 5:03:36 AM

try booting up only using a single dimm, still the same switch out for the other. also try in other dimm slots.

its the narrowing down of the problems that suck and take so long.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 20, 2012 5:05:12 AM

rabbito said:
try booting up only using a single dimm, still the same switch out for the other. also try in other dimm slots.

its the narrowing down of the problems that suck and take so long.

the sticks pass memtest??? what does taking one out narrow down? they both passed in the slots they are in.
m
l

Best solution

a c 194 à CPUs
May 20, 2012 5:05:34 AM

do you have all the bios updates?? there new one for new cpu code and ram that came out for a lot of the z77 chipset mb vendors. i would also check to see if your ram (part#) in on the mb qal list. sometime ram that not on the list can cause issues.
when you build the pc did you use the stock intel heat sink and did you put some thermal past on the cpu or did the heat sink come with some. if it had it and it the stock cooler shut your pc down take the power off so you can short anything out and see if the heat sink moves.also check that the pins in the heat sink are all they way down..if not you could be over heating..look in your bios under thermal tools or use program like speed fan or hardware montior to check your cpu temps. stock temps should be 30-50c with most stock heat sinks. if when running it goes over 50c i look into a seating issue.
also on your dimms did you put both dimms in the same color slots.some people make an error and put them next to each other.
May 20, 2012 5:06:04 AM

cbrunnem said:
still sounds like a hard drive honestly.

didnt even come to mind, but could be also
m
l
May 27, 2012 1:26:03 AM

Best answer selected by maysin.
m
l
May 27, 2012 1:27:47 AM

smorizio said:
do you have all the bios updates?? there new one for new cpu code and ram that came out for a lot of the z77 chipset mb vendors. i would also check to see if your ram (part#) in on the mb qal list. sometime ram that not on the list can cause issues.
when you build the pc did you use the stock intel heat sink and did you put some thermal past on the cpu or did the heat sink come with some. if it had it and it the stock cooler shut your pc down take the power off so you can short anything out and see if the heat sink moves.also check that the pins in the heat sink are all they way down..if not you could be over heating..look in your bios under thermal tools or use program like speed fan or hardware montior to check your cpu temps. stock temps should be 30-50c with most stock heat sinks. if when running it goes over 50c i look into a seating issue.
also on your dimms did you put both dimms in the same color slots.some people make an error and put them next to each other.

It was the bios . . . had f4 and f6 added support for the ivy bridge and a whole bunch of other CPUs. I got F7 which is the latest and the problem went away. I assumed since it was z77 that it would already have support for ivy bridge. Thanks!
m
l
!