bubbamccool

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
Yesterday morning lightning struck a tree 100 yards from my house. My homebuilt system immediately went dark. I was able to restart it in safe mode but only for a second before it shut down again. Now I can not start it at all. Power will cone one for one second then off again. My question is - What components will I need to change out. I assume that the power supply is ok because it will power up for a second. I will test this with my power supply tester to be sure. I assume the mother board is a goner. What about the processor and video card? I think the vid card may be ok because I was able to see for a moment when I was starting safe mode. But I am not sure if I would still be able to play my games and such. I also assume the processor may be ok because I was able to stat the system at all. But I am not sure if it will still be able to handle my demanding applications.

Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks for your help

Build
Case: Corsair 650D
PSU: Corsair 750W
Board: ASRock P67 Extreme4
Processor: Core i5 -2500k
Ram: 8 gig G.Skill Ripjaws

Only way to be sure is to swap components out one by one. I suggest you start with the power supply. Search for a cheap used one on craigslist. If you do the motherboard next, newegg has some pretty good deals on low end boards. For better advice, list your system specs and a budget to work with.

Chris Duncan

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
3 weeks ago there was a power surge in my neighborhood. It was a windstorm and I think it touched the lines together and went to 220v very briefly. The only thing it fried was my SSD harddrive. I went out and got a new surge protector because obviously the old one didn't work.

Lighting can get anything, it can also come up the cable and get the modem and router. If you unplug during a thunderstorm make sure you unplug the cable also.