SLI and Crossfire micro-stuttering still and issue?

Hi there,

I want to get either 2 Radeon 6950, 6970 or GTX 570's. I haven't yet decided. My only concer is, I have read much about so-called micro-stuttering in SLI and Crossfire setups.

Now I wanted to ask wether this is big of an issue in gaming?

Thanks a lot!
4 answers Last reply
More about crossfire micro stuttering issue
  1. Yes.

Unless your budget is completely restrictive to the point where the only way you can get playable frame rate is through a dual-card solution, avoid it like the plague.

This includes sandwitch cards like a HD 6990 or non-reference cards like the HD 4870x2.
  2. Supposedly SLI don't suffer from MS anywhere near as much as CF does. Also a 3way CF doesn't suffer from MS at all. (or nearly at all, less then even SLI.)

I too suggest a good strong card over a CF/SLI setup. In the end it just works out better.
  3. There are lot of folks who run Crossfire and SLI who would tell you that its not a problem at all. This is talked about quite a bit here on the forums, just do a search and you'll find some threads. There was one recently where a guy had linked a video on Youtube that showed the effects of the so called, "micro stuttering", funny thing was, he had to record the monitor with a high speed camera, and slow it way down to like 2 frames per second to actually see it and demonstrate what it was! Hello, if I have to slow it down that much, I ain't going to be playing it anyway. I think this is more of an item hardware and benchmarking sites have locked onto because they are having problems finding anything else interesting to report on, and when you find a potential hardware "problem" it grabs everyone's attention, honestly. I have ran both Crossfire and SLI, currently running 2 560ti's in SLI, and it looks nothing to me but smooth and fast. I think I do prefer SLI, just seems to me that the scaling is a little better over a wider variety of games.
  4. Jit, I think its like 60hz CRT monitors. I still have two of them here in the house. Those that use them think they are fine. My mother and father both don't mind CRTs. But when I sit at the computer they don't understand why the FIRST thing I do is up the refresh rate to 72 or 75hz. I sit and use a 60hz CRT and my eyes INSTANTLY hurt. I can it. My mother, father, roommate, and best friend all have no idea what I'm talking about. I think MS is like this. Not everyone can see/feel it, but those who can can't stand it. For the record I've never used a CF/SLI machine so I have no idea if it would bother me or not.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Crossfire SLI Graphics