Question about a possible 6 pin converter...

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012
My current PSU only has to 8-6 pin slots. Thus I can only run one of my 2x6pin GPU's at pnce. However I want to know if there is a 8 -> 2x6pin splitter that would allow me to use one 8pin slot in my psu to power 1 2x6pin GPU?

Solution

Good point although technically one 8 pin provides 150W and 2 6 pin provide 75W each. There are just no 150W single 8 pin cards. So techically using an 8 pin to 2 6 pin cable you are drawing the power it's designed to deliver. Always best to check though since PSU manufacturers like to lie

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Be careful that you're not overloading your power supply. Lack of PCIe connectors is usually for good reason. Multi-card setups require a lot of power, and you need an above average unit to handle it.

If you push the unit too hard, it may simply fail to boot at all, or it could burn out rapidly and potentially damage your other components when it does.

Good point although technically one 8 pin provides 150W and 2 6 pin provide 75W each. There are just no 150W single 8 pin cards. So techically using an 8 pin to 2 6 pin cable you are drawing the power it's designed to deliver. Always best to check though since PSU manufacturers like to lie

Solution