Hey guys I just bought the XFX version of the 6870... and only now (after its on its way to my house) I see posts saying its not good, that it over heats, etc... I bought the single fan design since it was cheaper and in my budget (plus I dont trust powercolor)

So I'm just wondering what I have to look out for

How loud is the fan at say 75%? I have a sapphire 5670 running at 75% and its pretty loud xD

I have a pair of these. At 75% the fans are really loud. They get loud at about 50%. Still, I leave the fans temperature-controlled at a custom temperature ramp, using Msi Afterburner and they hardly ever get over 50%. My cards usually don't get over 75 ºC.

why do you have the custom temperature fan speed? was it over heating or did it just not cool enough to your liking

My 5670 was stuck at 50% in games but not furmark thus it crashed in games after about 30 minutes... took me forever to figure out what was going on Lol

@pro-gamer, can you provide proof its not good, temp charts, etc?

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
I got one for my build because of the lifetime warranty. I also saw the recent posts saying they "overheat". Can't say I've really stressed mine (only new game I have is Dirt 3 and I haven't gotten to really playing that yet) but it doesn't seem that loud to me and it doesn't seem to have heat issues. It might be hotter than other cards (especially compared to dual fan models), but if it is within the thermal limits of the components it should be fine.

Let's just say that I'm happy with my card and if it does overheat itself it is covered by the lifetime warranty.

Hmm, well.. I'll just wait till it gets here :3 I hope its not to hot for my little haf 912 :)

Edit: I just checked my 5670 at max fan speed... I had to check if the fan was still running... it is... can't hear it though XD

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
I'll also say that both of my old 7800GT cards overheated and killed themselves. One died around 4 years, and the second is dying at 6 years (it still runs 2D mode fine). So, unless these cards die really fast (1-2 years) I won't complain.

as long as it doesnt get hot/noisy I think this card is going to have to last me quite a while... Im using a 5670 at 1920 x 1080 so quality isnt a huge issue as long as the games play smooth :) upgrading mainly for skyrim and WoW XD

I don't see how games can get much better looking, they already look amazing even on medium settings (speaking for the future here :) )

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
Antec 300 illusion case with XFX 6870 dual fan, GPU has never exceeded 65° while gaming and the fans are not loud even at 75% and up, idles 36-38°.
also using custom Afterburner fan profile to rev up with higher fan speeds. 35° @ 25%, 50° @ 75%, 60+° @ 100%.

have never had a problem through 3 XFX Radeons; 2600XT, 4890, and now the 6870. they're a great company as far as their Radeons go.

Soarixay

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Mine wasn't that loud when I had it above 50% and since your already used to the sounds of your old card, I'm betting it will at least be some sort of improvement. Certain people are very sensitive to sound just like they are picky about AA and all the other stuff. It depends on what truly matters to you.

I always have music or some type of audio running so loud fans don't bother me if I come across them and I keep my computer off at night so none of it has a big affect on me personally.