Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CPU 85 degrees idle!

Last response: in CPUs
May 20, 2012 10:14:52 AM

Hello Forum

I have recently finished my first build, and everything seems to be working fine, exept the cpu and fan.

When i check my CPU temperature with speedfan, it temperature is around 80-85 degrees when IDLE!
I don't understand how this can happen, as the cpu fan seems to be spinning. I have also tried to remove the side panel, to see if thats the issue, but all the other components are getting good temperature.
Another thing i have noticed, is that everytime i boot, it says "CPU FAN ERROR! Press F1 to boot". So i boot from the HDD, and everything seems to be working fine, but I can read that the CPU is hot from Speedfan

My CPU is i5-2500k and fan is Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo.
Any help would be much appreciated:) 

More about : cpu degrees idle

a b à CPUs
May 20, 2012 10:26:20 AM

My first guess would be that you have done something wrong with the application of the thermal paste.

Mactronix :) 
m
l
May 20, 2012 10:57:22 AM

mactronix said:
My first guess would be that you have done something wrong with the application of the thermal paste.

You might be right, I had some trouble applying it, if you could explain the best way of doing it, it would be very helpful:) 
m
l
Related resources
a c 203 à CPUs
May 20, 2012 11:50:51 AM

Can you explain how you applied your thermal compound (and how much you used) so we can figure out where you might have gone wrong?
m
l
a c 203 à CPUs
May 20, 2012 11:52:18 AM

VMord said:
Another thing i have noticed, is that everytime i boot, it says "CPU FAN ERROR! Press F1 to boot".
Did you plug the CPU fan into the motherboard CPU fan header correctly?
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 20, 2012 12:05:23 PM

Ok well can I assume you removed the plastic from the bottom of the cooler ? I have known that to happen before. Not good.

Thermal paste is a little is better substance, so assuming you did remove all the plastic then my guess would be you used too much. Some people think they need a good bed of the stuff to make a nice solid contact when the opposite is actually what you are looking for.

Read this http://www.techpowerup.com/printarticle.php?id=134

And get back to me with any questions.

m
l
May 20, 2012 2:24:58 PM

mactronix said:
Ok well can I assume you removed the plastic from the bottom of the cooler ? I have known that to happen before. Not good.

Thermal paste is a little is better substance, so assuming you did remove all the plastic then my guess would be you used too much. Some people think they need a good bed of the stuff to make a nice solid contact when the opposite is actually what you are looking for.

Read this http://www.techpowerup.com/printarticle.php?id=134

And get back to me with any questions.

You know what, now that you mention it, I'm quite sure i aplied too much, it seemed messy.
And, BTW, best answer to u :) 
m
l
May 20, 2012 2:27:39 PM

WR2 said:

Yes i did
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
May 20, 2012 3:32:47 PM

Do you have an Asus motherboard? SpeedFan reports the wrong temp for the CPU on Asus boards, usually (detects the wrong sensor). Try HWMonitor and ignore CPUTIN. The core temps and "Package" are what you want to look at. Also try RealTemp and/or Core Temp. I think what you're seeing is a false reading.

Aside from that, SpeedFan is generally just not a very good program for newer systems.
m
l
a c 229 à CPUs
May 20, 2012 3:47:08 PM

There is no "best way" to install TIM....how you apply it depends on what type of cooler you have.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

Running two thermal monitoring programs is one sure fire way ti get wrong readings ... do you have the Asus monitoring software installed and running ?

Drop Speedfan and all the other 3rd party apps and just use OCCT. It will load your CPU using the CPU test and also display temps, voltages w/o the need for any other rd party apps. It also will auto shut down and sound alarms if temps become of concern and when done, will graph the results.

http://www.ocbase.com/index.php/download
m
l

Best solution

a c 138 à CPUs
May 20, 2012 3:47:17 PM

WR2 said:

Not sure forgetting to plug the fan would explain 85C _idle_ core temp with a Hyper 212... my CPU hits 65C full-load core temp with the fan disconnected.

With the amount of pressure applied by the 212 once properly mounted would squeeze out any amount of ridiculous excess in short order so this seems unlikely as well. Application method is unlikely as well since power output at idle should be low enough for even the worst sufficient/excessive paste application to keep the idle core temp at reasonably low levels if the HSF itself is mounted properly.

My guess would be that the OP somehow managed to improperly install his 212... not screwed in properly, bracket not positioned properly on the heatsink block or damaged/bent bracket due to excessive force trying to screw it in while improperly positioned.

Edit: not reading the right CPU temperature is also an option. Speedfan shows me 6 CPU temperatures and one of them says 124C even at idle, which is obviously wrong.
a c 283 à CPUs
May 20, 2012 3:51:18 PM

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guarantee that it's a false reading...

SpeedFan shows my CPU temp at 82C ALL the time, when it's truly usually 29-32C at idle. It's detecting the VRM temp as the CPU temp. I have a 212 Evo as well.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 20, 2012 4:51:02 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guarantee that it's a false reading...

SpeedFan shows my CPU temp at 82C ALL the time, when it's truly usually 29-32C at idle. It's detecting the VRM temp as the CPU temp. I have a 212 Evo as well.

I concur. Granted this reading is only this way after resuming from sleep, otherwise it reads 60c all the time never changing unless it goes to sleep.

m
l
May 20, 2012 5:54:23 PM

So much thx for the advice!
Well, i re-aplied the termal paste, and nothing changed.
However, i switched to OCCT and, though still saying that CPU-TIN was 85C, all the cores were around 30C. I guess that means I'm OK! And, yes, i do run an ASUS mobo.

But, wow! The quick response from you guys were better than i ever expected. I read other forum posts about this, but none of them came close to the amount of good advice you gave. I hope that other people with the same problem can use this thread also.

And, at last, a noob question.. How do you mark a thread as solved?
m
l
a c 138 à CPUs
May 21, 2012 1:18:27 AM

VMord said:
And, at last, a noob question.. How do you mark a thread as solved?

Pick a "Best Answer"
m
l
May 21, 2012 2:45:00 PM

Best answer selected by VMord.
m
l
May 21, 2012 3:04:40 PM

With regards to the fan error, just change the minimum RPM setting in the bios to 400rpm. I've seen a number of threads on the Asus/EVO fan error issue and had the same problem.
m
l
!