Radeon HD 5770 Crossfire Compatibility Question

Hey all, I need some opinions. I'm considering adding another Radeon HD 5770 to my rig, but my problem is that I purchased a biostar VA5775NHG1 HD 5770 and it's out of production. I can't even find one on Ebay. The closest match is the SAPPHIRE 100283-3L and I think it would work. Anyone think otherwise? The only difference seems to be max resolution.

Furthermore, should I try to sell my 5770 (which I'm constantly surprised by and am very happy with) and buy something better with the money, maybe $200-300? The system is used exclusively for gaming. Presently, I'm running Skyrim on ultra detail, 1080, with occasional stuttering but still VERY respectable for a mid range card that's the better part of two years old.

Any opinions would be appreciated.
12 answers Last reply
More about radeon 5770 crossfire compatibility question
  1. You can use any make of 5770 so long as it's a 5770 and it shares the same specs.It doesn't have to be the same exact model.

    You won't get more than $80 for selling your 5770.I think the best option is to just get another for crossfire.

    I suggest just holding out with a 5770 crossfire for a couple of months until the new cards(mid-range) come onto the market.Then upgrade.

    What are your full system specs?(CPU,RAM,etc.)

    What is the make/model of your PSU?
  2. purple stank said:
    You can use any make of 5770 so long as it's a 5770 and it shares the same specs.It doesn't have to be the same exact model.

    You won't get more than $80 for selling your 5770.I think the best option is to just get another for crossfire.

    I suggest just holding out with a 5770 crossfire for a couple of months until the new cards(mid-range) come onto the market.Then upgrade.

    What are your full system specs?(CPU,RAM,etc.)

    What is the make/model of your PSU?


    Thanks for the input and for clearing up the Crossfire Question. As I'm reviewing my system specs I think I need a new mobo for crossfire :pfff: as the newegg listing says it only has 1 PCI-Express slot, but I thought it had 2. I'll have to check. It's been a while since I tore my case apart.

    Mobo: ASUS EVO AM3 870
    PSU: Rosewill Xtreme Series RX950-D-B 950W
    Proc: AMD Athlon II X4 640
    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (PC3 12800)
    GPU: BIOSTAR VA5775NHG1 Radeon HD 5770 1GB
  3. Well if you have to upgrade your mobo to crossfire it's not really worth it.

    What's your budget for a new GPU?
  4. it does have 2 PCIE 2.0 but rated @ 16/x4, you'll suffer a performance degradation by 7% if you run them @ x4/x4 mode.

    Besides, your CPU is not that great for gaming, better get a Phenom II x4.
  5. Why would they both run at x4 if the first slot is x16?
  6. As far as i know, when 2 GPUs are installed via CF/SLI @ different PCIE lanes the higher lane operates at the bandwidth with the lower lane, for eg PCI-E 16x slot operates at the bandwidth of a PCI-E 4x.
    So x16/x8 >>>> x8/x8
    x16/x4>>>x4/x4
  7. Something to do with Bandwidth? No sense in sending the data faster with a x16 slot if you have to wait for the x4 slot to catch up?
  8. purple stank said:
    No sense in sending the data faster with a x16 slot if you have to wait for the x4 slot to catch up?

    Which means ?
  9. ilysaml said:
    As far as i know, when 2 GPUs are installed via CF/SLI @ different PCIE lanes the higher lane operates at the bandwidth with the lower lane, for eg PCI-E 16x slot operates at the bandwidth of a PCI-E 4x.
    So x16/x8 >>>> x8/x8
    x16/x4>>>x4/x4


    I'd agree. For Crossfire to work the cards need to operate with exactly the same resource pools. The faster card would have to adjust to the lowest common denominator.
  10. purple stank said:
    Well if you have to upgrade your mobo to crossfire it's not really worth it.

    What's your budget for a new GPU?



    $200-300 if I can sell the 5770 for about $80.
  11. ilysaml said:
    it does have 2 PCIE 2.0 but rated @ 16/x4, you'll suffer a performance degradation by 7% if you run them @ x4/x4 mode.

    Besides, your CPU is not that great for gaming, better get a Phenom II x4.



    What's the potential performance gain from a new processor? As my PC is used about 99% for gaming, I'm not sure a new processor would help all that much. That's why I was looking into crossfire; it looks like the most bang for my buck. I can grab a new hd 5770 for about $100. Even though I'd suffer performance degradation, 7% doesn't sound like that much when I stand to add about 50% (?) to graphics performance based on what I've read.
  12. citenx said:
    What's the potential performance gain from a new processor?

    Your CPU doesn't have L3 cache, simply L3 cache gives better performance in gaming that's why i would have recommended a Phenom II X4 in addition to higher clocks and unlocked multipliers.

    Regarding the X16/X4>>> X4/X4 i'm collecting much more accurate information as i'm a little doubtful about that.

    At the end, I would recommend you to have a rebuild (CPU+MOBO+GPU) if you wanna play intensive GPU games.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards HD Radeon Graphics Product