How did it die?

Status
Not open for further replies.

harmpiejan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
hey guys

a while ago my laptop died. I've replaced it with a new computer, but the laptop is still lying around. I was wondering what part
of my laptop broke, and how i could recycle it.

this happened: When I decided to build my pc, the floods in thailand just happened, so the HDD prices were very high. I asked a friend if he had a hard drive and he had one I could buy. Problem was: he could not test if it was still working, so he gave me a sata cable and I tried to plug it in my laptop. guess what, the 3,5" HDD was to much for my good old dell and it broke... but did the mobo die, or the power supply?

my mother is still hoping I can repair it so she could use it to browse the web.

thanks!

harmpiejan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
well, there's a very small cable with a sata+sata power connection plug, and it fits the 2,5" drive as well as the 3,5" drive. I just plugged it in and tried to boot, but it didn't work and after that it wouldn't accept my original drive, it just said OS not found.

I think there's you problem.

Your 3.5" try to draw 12v from the laptop SATA which only provide 5v.

You should have use the data cable only to connect the laptop with the 3.5" drive and use an ATX PSU to give the HDD the 12v power.

Status
Not open for further replies.