Customer support?

jj1979

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Hey guys,

My GPU recently went to the planks after a long haul across the ocean. I contacted the manufacturer of my GPU but I quess I ran into the 2 village idiots there and this happened over the next 2 weeks!!!

It's a long read but do enjoy the end...

Message History

[ 11/20/2011 11:39:11 PM] Hi there. We recently moved from the UK to NZ. All our items was shipped to NZ. Upon recieving my pc i`ve upgraded my pc (just mobo and memory) to Asus m5a97 EVO and ddr3 ram. When I installed my GPU it would`t boot up, error light on mobo at vga just stay lit up. I`ve changed it back to my old mobo and ram but now the card spins up 100% for a couple of seconds and "soft resets" and just spins up again, no video or bootup. I took it to a local pc shop and they advised of "water damage"?? Our items was securely packed in a container even tho it was shipped by sea i can see no reason for it to have water damage?

[JAMES 11/21/2011 4:20:46 PM] Hi, thanks for your message and sorry to hear you are experiencing these problems. Not sure how that could have happened but i assume by water damage, they mean things like severe dampness or condensation, that the card may have been exposed to, or do they mean exposure to liquid compound? how long was the card in transit to NZ? Were you advised of any special additional packing requirements? did you contact the shipping agent? if so how did they respond? kind regards, James. kind regards, James.

[ 11/21/2011 7:07:23 PM] Hi James. Our posessions was in transit for 2 months. The guy that told me the card had water damage basicly just looked at it and said that he could see it has got water damage (one of the pc shops I went to for a test bench). The shipping agent didn`t advise of any special packaging but on the day they came to pack I asked the packers to take special care packing my pc as I spent alot of time and money building it. I haven`t contacted the shipping agent yet because although the contents of our shipment was insured the pc as a whole was insured aswell. Now I can most likely put in a claim for the card alone (not sure have to find out from the shippers) but they would most likely require proof of the card not working. As I said in my first message I took the card to a pc shop that put it on their testbench to see if it worked. ( now these guys charge to have it tested but I didn`t pay cause i basicly convinced the guy that i just wanted it slotted in and powered up to see if it goes, not a full diagnostic). Now the amount these guys charge is insane to have iot tested, it`s 50NZD wich is a scam and there are no other pc shops where I live that has a test bench that can do it (yes I drove to each and every one personally) Now for that kind of money to have it "properly tested" I can just add another 50 and just buy a new card, but why should I if I paid so much for my XFX that has a life time warranty, can`t I just send it in to you guys to repair? or am I supposed to go through the whole prosess of a claim, pay to have my card tested for a report to send in for a claim and most likely wait ages for them to do it.....if so i`ll rather go down the buy a new card road and bin the XFX...

[JAMES 11/22/2011 9:58:16 AM] Hi, thanks for your message, unfortunately lifetime warranty is with N. America only, and any warranty would have normally be done via the reseller - where you bought the card - but from what you have told us the card would most likely be rejected due to water damage, i.e. being that the card itself was not the problem, so it is unlikely that anything could be done in this instance due to this fact. May be better to claim on the PC insurance, all things considered. kind regards, james.

[ 11/22/2011 8:23:12 PM] Hi James. Thank you for the replies. There is NO reason I can see that the card would have suffered "water damage" as it did ALL our other electrical goods (including the rest of my pc like the mobo, ram and so on) would have been affected the same way. Anyhow, this guy just looked at the card and said that to me, he didn`t test or inspect it. If I was aware that the "lifetime warranty" was only a N. America thing I wouldn`t have based my purchase on the XFX. I have now decided just to buy a Nvidia GTX580 as I always had Nvidia and this was my first and last ATI card. I had 3 previous Nvidia cards, 1 also went faulty and I had NO problems getting that fixed what so ever (and the card was well over a year old!). I`ve waited 2 and a half months for my pc and just can`t be bothered to now wait a further how long ever they would take to assess this for a insurance claim. Thanks for the help, regards, Johan

[ 11/22/2011 8:47:00 PM] Sorry James, I would also just like to add on here that I bought this card in April Last year wich means it still falls under the standard 1 year manufaturers warranty (I bought the card from overclockers UK and had a look at their support page). I just want to know why I just can`t send it to you guys to have a look at it, why should I pay a guy 50bucks to have it propery tested (and I already know now it`s not working). If it turns out that there actually IS water damage then obviously my WHOLE system would be affected and I could use your report then to claim for a brand new system? When I sent in my old Nvidia card (that was out of warranty that time) I had a little bit of convinceing to do but at the end Nvidia just replaced my card without any hasstles, now I can`t argue that their customer service is outstanding. Regards, Johan

[JEDY 11/24/2011 9:55:42 AM] Hi Johan,Thanks for the update.if water damage, our service center should reject it`s RMA requirement. regards Jedy

[ 11/24/2011 7:03:35 PM] Hi, I want to know why you guys don`t want to look at my card water damage or not. This card still has a full 1 years waranty on it and by right I`m entitled to send it to you whether it has water damage or a truck has run over it. If you come back and say YES it does have water damage (at the moment we are just going on some pimple faced guy that LOOKED at the card and did NO test on it what so ever) I can understand and then proceed to lodge a claim againts the shipping agent. But what IF it DOESN`T have "water damage??? what if it is the card that has broken? At this point in time there is NO way for me to prove otherwise exept if i have the card properly tested and i`m sure as hell not going to pay to have it done if I still got a guarantee on it. How would you feel if you bought a ferrari and it broke and the guy at the ferrari garage told you you should take your car to a back yard grease moneky.....that is the way it feels to me at the moment.

[JEDY 11/25/2011 10:07:21 AM] Hi,Thanks for the update. could you post any pictures with `water damage` ? please send it to www.tinypic.com thanks Jedy

[ 11/25/2011 9:40:44 PM] Dear Jedy, pics uploaded http://i43.tinypic.com/dm72pz.jpg http://i39.tinypic.com/15gwk5f.jpg http://i41.tinypic.com/6egeif.jpg http://i43.tinypic.com/5xppqf.jpg thanks, Johan

[ 11/28/2011 10:12:21 PM] Hi Jedy/James, any update on the pics?

[JEDY 12/2/2011 9:24:09 AM] Hi,Thanks for the update. I am forward your pic to our RMA co-worker,we should give you feedback soon. regards Jedy

[JEDY 12/5/2011 3:53:49 AM] hi sir,base on the photos provided, we can not find water damage on the mentioned card. please give us a close-up? regards Jedy

[ 12/5/2011 6:26:03 AM] Hi Jedy, photo`s provided is the best I can get with my camera unless you guys would like to provide me with one that I can take better photo`s with and then maybe sell to buy a new card? (and anyhow I fail to see how you would detect water damage just by looking at a pic from the back of the PCB?...what if there isn`t any sign of water damage?...what would have been the next step on your green or what ever colour card you got to read from....to get me to take apart the card and take some more pics of the inside??? Kind regards. (P.s. I`ve since taken the card to a good mate of mine on the street corner that does mantle pieces....you know the one`s like singing fish...they like flop around and sing catchy tunes? Well...I told him the story and he said he could make an exellent wall piece for me with the card dismantled. He also said that he could melt the copper down from the heatsink and pipes and that he could flog it to another mate at the mine and maybe get some cash for it...that way he could do the mantle piece for me for FREE! Anyhow, I said to him it sounded like a great idea and that I would maybe see if i could get a photo of you and James so I can like put it all in one nice big frame and hang it on my wall....I also got aother mate that does inscriptions and asked him to inscribe something nice on the chip of the card....something like...."burn baby burn" (that was the name of my dad`s bike gang...but he`s dead) and thought it would be a nice touch to both the card and my dad being dead you know....Anyhow, it`s getting late here now and time to go and wash the kids...make food, eat and shop for a new Nvidia card....let me know if this sounds like a swell idea to you xxx)......(sorry...another P.S. the reason this is a wasite of time is because you guy got it in your heads somehow that this card HAS WATER DAMAGE (SEE THE CAPS?) I THINK I SHOULD TYPE THIS IN CAPS SO YOU GUYS MIGHT GET THE MESSAGE....THE CARD NEVER HAD WATER DAMAGE AS I NOW HAVE PAYED THE GUY 50 BUCKS TO TEST AND INSPECT IT FOR ME (YOU KNOW, THE THING MENTIONED A FEW MESSAGES BACK THAT I DIDN`T WANT TO DO SINCE IT`S STILL UNDER WARRANTY AND OH WELL... AT THIS POINT IN TIME I CAN`T BE ARSED ABOUT A RMA JUST BECAUSE YOU GUYS GAVE ME THE RUN AROUND, BUT DON`T WORRY, I`D BE SURE TO MENTION THE SWELL SERVICE YOU AND JAMES HAS PROVIDED TO ME OVER THE PAST 2 WEEKS IN MY COLUM I WRITE FOR A MAJOR GAMING WEBSITE)....so please remove my details from your system and don`t reply as this message will self destuct in...10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...."POOF!"

[JEDY 12/5/2011 10:36:10 AM] Hi,Thanks for the update.we should releaes RMA code to you,please complete your profile. regards Jedy

[ 12/5/2011 5:44:08 PM] profile complete

Messed up indeed but there is something i would like to point out:

When dealing with RMA's - keep it simple-stupid (or KISS for short).

Adding that part of "I took it to a local pc shop and they advised of "water damage"??" was a bad move because it got them thinking in their heads that you actually might have water damage (which is not good because you don't want them thinking...).

Basically when doing RMA'ing - Tell them the problem - tell them you tried the device in another computer (as long as your device didn't kill your current computer or blow it up), and leave all other information out of it to keep confusion to a minnimum.

Never tell them you did something to the device to damage it - always feign ignorance.

A manufacturer's warranty is going to warranty parts under 'normal use'. Pouring watter, and exposing it to condensation is not 'normal use' and would thus void the warranty. It is much better to say "hey, I have a card, it is broken. I put another card in the PC and it worked fine. The problem is definately in the card which is still under warranty" Then they will send an RMA # and you can send them the card to replace.

At this point you would be better off dealing with the insurer or shipper. Then get replacement money and get a new one. At the same time, work with the manufacturer on the RMA, and you magically end up with SLi/xFire! woot!

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Wow you guys make me sick that people lie about RMAS to get free stuff. You do know thats fraud right? If everyone did that imagine how long that company would last?

Bla bla latest model of a new video card came out quick lets RMA our old card and lie about it not working and then break it on purpose to get the newer improved model.

jj1979

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011

Hi mightymaxio

I'd agree totally with you if people did such things and I actually do believe there are people who do, but let's face it, if we were jumping on the band wagon and start moaning about people committing insurance fraud to get "free" stuff we'd need a whole new forum just for that.

The fact that my GPU IS actually broken (as stated, not by me personally but due to being shipped) doesn't take away the grief that these guy's customer service (which the tread is actually about) is below par to Nvidia's that I have dealt with in the past.

DM186

Splendid
Since I read this I am going to put my two cents worth. The two customer sevice guys were totally in the wrong.

As big as AMD/ATI is they should have generated a RMA with out question reguardless of what you thought or said.

If they had done that and check it out you would have a new card by the time they finally agreed to send you a RMA and they would still have a loyal customer.

I work in Electrical wholesale industry and I deal with people all the time. Customers are what gives me my paycheck.

Anyway I like Nvidia card. Sorry you had to go through that over a little thing like that it would have behooved them to just do it. But now they put a black mark on them.

jj1979

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011

Hi DM186

Yep, in the end it doesn't matter what I said anyhow (although like previous posts said, I gave a tad too much info to them) they should have just offered to have a look at it.

I've had my fair share of RMA nightmares in the past with various items around the house but this takes the cake.

I had 3 previous Nvidia cards, the one I fried, well out of the 1 year guarantee period I thought I'd just contact Nvidia to ask them about the card. They didn't even hesitate to reply to me to send in the card to them to have a look at it. They came back saying one of the chips went bad and that the card was out of warranty but I said to the guy that I was a loyal Nvidia supporter and bought 2 cards off the same place that they could see and then offered to replace the card with a same model there and then!! I did have to do a bit of sweet talking but in the end I got a new card (now i have to say that it came with the condition that the new card would NOT have a guarantee but who cares, it was a new one!).

I guess I was just lucky getting the right person on the right day to talk to and I'm sure there would be people here that might share some horror RMA stories about Nvidia.

Wow that comment is totally out of this world. My advice isn't fraud, and it's for people who genuinely have issues with their devices. And I don't condone trying to purposefully breaking your video card or whatever device to try and get the latest greatest model.

It would just allow for smoother RMA's - TBH i've never had to RMA anything ever - but i've read countless horror/ and success stories about RMA so I truncated it and giving others advice.

Mightymaxio - let's say you were in jj1979's shoes - would you just roll over and buy a new video card? Or would you try and RMA it (if it's still under warrenty) because it didn't work as expected?

By the way mightymaxio - your talking like these companies will keel over and die if every once in a while someone RMA's something legitimately.

These are big companies, they deal with millions of dollars on a daily basis. The CEO's of these companies probably make in the 1/2 million dollar range of money per year, now do you still feel bad for these companies?

Do you think it's still wrong that someone should be able to legitimately RMA a broken device and just pay extra money out of your own pocket to get the same device (even though the manufacturer made a defective product)?

jj1979

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Generally speaking a warranty is only a year unless you buy extra time for it. As I troll around I see the thing seperating cards these days are small things like warranty periods/bundeld software and so on, not that much diffrence of the cards itself (and yes there will be diffrence but i'm not going to make a proper list now) as the debate is all about warranty and RMA.

Technology does change a bit during a 1 year period, but should that be reason enough to go break your card to get a upgraded one (and in most cases if not 95%+ you'll most likely end up with the same card)....so in other words, IF you do break your own card just to RMA it for a new one, yes you'll get a new card and maybe if your lucky end up with a upgrade. Would that be worth it in the end......well, let's see the kind of crap I'm going through at the moment just to get XFX to LOOK at my card! In short, i'd say no, in most cases you'll put yourself through more mysery just to get the same thing (abit new) unless your card or whatever has REALLY broken like mine, then you would have to put up with this s**t to get it sorted.

As said in a previous post, my card is really broken and i'm sure as hell not just going to roll over and spend the same amount of dosh on a new card since my card is still covered....

I would however like to add that YES it has happened to me in the past where my ECO ALC cooler's pump gave in. I contacted them as that was still under warranty and sent it in. A couple of days later I recieved a e-mail saying that the specific unit I had was no longer made so they sent out the upgraded replacement model. In those sort of cases I think is the only time you would end up with something better as I did....but once again as said, the thing WAS really broken and I had no quibble using my warranty to get it sorted!