computernewb

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
hi. i was wondering what this phrase means

Did you read the instructions in the manual on how to properly connect the front panel plugs? (Power switch, power led, reset switch, HD activity led) Polarity does not matter with the power and reset switches. If power or drive activity LED's do not come on, reverse the connections. For troubleshooting purposes, disconnect the reset switch. If it's shorted, the machine either will not POST at all, or it will endlessly reboot.

does that mean i can switch the power and reset plugs and it will still work?
also, what does "shorted" mean?

thanks! :wahoo:

r0aringdrag0n

Distinguished
I believe what that means is that the power and reset cables aren't polarized and therefore you can plug them either way. Example:
motherboard pins are:
abc
and power/reset switches are:
abc
If they were polarized, then the cable connectors have to match and therefore the "a" on the cable must match with the "a" on the motherboard, however, this is NOT polarized meaning the "a" on the cable could go with the "c" on the cable and the mobo will be fine. If it was polarized, and then you put "a" with "c", you might short circuit your motherboard.
And by "shorted" they mean short circuited, which means: giving electricity through a path it isn't supposed to go through and therefore may destroy your component.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_circuit