Sign in with
Your question
Solved

1920x1080 or 1200 display and monitor(s)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 5, 2011 7:14:14 PM

I just built a new machine (first build) and I went with a GTX 570, i5-2500k, 8gig RAM. At some point I'd like to SLI.

My question is regarding my monitor. I have a Dell 24 and it works fine even being about 5 years old. It's native is 1920x1200, which is awesome. I would love to be able to step up to HDMI through my 570 and step up to a 27" monitor. I don't have the money to buy a 27" with 1920x1200 native.

Would anyone recommend staying with the 24" and primarily with the 1920x1200 or moving to HDMI 27" and 1920x1080? I guess there is a lot to speak to there, but I'm looking for a realistic opinion(s) because I'm stepping into uncharted territory. Is HDMI worth it at even a lower resolution? Would a larger monitor be dumb to get...IE...should I snag another 1920x1200 24" for a little more and do a dual setup with another 24" Dell ultra sharp?

Any and all input is appreciated!

Cheers,
Jrod
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 5, 2011 7:36:54 PM

HDMI is just DVI with sound interface, which makes it no difference if you monitor doesn't have speakers.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 5, 2011 7:37:02 PM

HDMI and DVI use the same digital signal. The only advantage HDMI has is longer cable runs, supports divice to display locking(for ant-piracy) and audio. The quality of the picture is identical.

If your audio is coming from speakers or on headphones you will get no benifit.
m
l
Related resources
a c 226 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 5, 2011 7:54:43 PM

HDMI also can't do 120 Hz which is what I'd be buying today.

I also would not buy a 27" screen at 1920 x 1200 or 1920 x 1080. The pixels per inch (ppi) number is too small. The human eye can discern individual pixels starting at 96 ppi ..... above that and the picture looks sharper, below that, it starts to look "grainy". On a 27", your ppi is about 83.8 ..... (81.6 on 1920 x 1080) .... at that point you can easily see individual pixels.

I'd stick with a 23" or 23.6" monitor at 120 Hz.....about $290

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
December 5, 2011 8:09:46 PM

I have the same or similar 24" dell monitor to you and after trying a bunch of potential "upgrades" I would say save your money unless you are really hell bent on going 3d or 120hz... I have tried many asus models that are also absolute crap, they are low end leds and therefore a blue/yellow huefest... the dell is honestly likely going to be far superior in terms of overall picture quality, beyond that Im not sold on 2ms either, no matter what you will have a tiny bit of ghosting that is noticeable, so personally I'd rather have the better colors.... 2 ms GTG is a misleading spec anywyas...

Im just saying that the ASUS displays that Ive tried have not been all that... just sayin, try one but make sure to scrutinize it before you decide that you are not going to return it... and for this matter this is why I am always going into a micro-center or frys to buy a display...

if it gotta dead pixel or is crap then its going right back to the store bc displays are more subjective then almost any component imo...

beyond all that HDMI is not stepping up to anything display wise unless you wanted to use the awesome :lol:  speakers on the monitor :lol: 

that is my 2 cents, since I have you same exact monitor and similar system....
December 5, 2011 8:17:43 PM

jjb8675309 said:
I have the same or similar 24" dell monitor to you and after trying a bunch of potential "upgrades" I would say save your money unless you are really hell bent on going 3d or 120hz... I have tried many asus models that are also absolute crap, they are low end leds and therefore a blue/yellow huefest... the dell is honestly likely going to be far superior in terms of overall picture quality, beyond that Im not sold on 2ms either, no matter what you will have a tiny bit of ghosting that is noticeable, so personally I'd rather have the better colors.... 2 ms GTG is a misleading spec anywyas...

Im just saying that the ASUS displays that Ive tried have not been all that... just sayin, try one but make sure to scrutinize it before you decide that you are not going to return it... and for this matter this is why I am always going into a micro-center or frys to buy a display...

if it gotta dead pixel or is crap then its going right back to the store bc displays are more subjective then almost any component imo...

beyond all that HDMI is not stepping up to anything display wise unless you wanted to use the awesome :lol:  speakers on the monitor :lol: 

that is my 2 cents, since I have you same exact monitor and similar system....

Thank you for the input. Sounds like you are a few miles down the road I was about to go down. I'll go ahead and pull off the path.

Thanks to everyone else. The advice has been taken and I will stick with what I've got because it sounds like what I have is more than I realize.

Cheers,
Jrod
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 5, 2011 10:44:49 PM

yeah, you might find something you like, but then again you might just add a big hassle to your life... :) 
m
l
December 12, 2011 11:36:24 PM

Best answer selected by Jrodguy83.
m
l
!