Sign in with
Your question

Newly Assembled System gone wrong

Last response: in Systems
February 4, 2012 6:52:57 PM

Hey guys,

I've just installed my new computer with Win7 64bit Ultimate, but I'm not quite satisfied.

I have input lag and flickering textures in games and sometimes entire flickering walls in the landscape(skyrim). The framerate is also lower than it should be(5fps or so)

The specs are
MOBO: Asus Extreme4 Gen3
CPU: i7-2600K
GPU: Radeon HD 6870 x2
RAM: Corsair 4x4Gb DDR3, Dual Channel
PSU: Corsair HX1050W
SSD: OCZ Revodrive 120gb

All the drivers have been installed. The ATI catalyst for the 68xx series, the drivers on the disc that followed the motherboard and DirectX 11.

The CrossfireX setting is enabled, to take advantage of the 2 GPU cores, I will try disabling that.

Anyone who has an idea about what could be wrong?
February 4, 2012 7:05:03 PM

Nice system, however. If you can, id return those 2 6870s and get a single card solution, like a 7950. Crossfiring most games causes issues til they optimize the drivers for that title. Better to go with a single solid GPU than crossfiring, less issues.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 4, 2012 7:09:51 PM

It could be very likely that it's the CF. Some games don't play well with a card that is crossfired
Related resources
February 4, 2012 7:11:51 PM

It seems it was the crossfire... that kinda sucks. How can they not make sure that their games support something so common in the market today? Crossfire and SLI has been around a while.

To make things worse I have an extra card I'll add to the mix, this will make it a 6870 + 6870 x2 setup. I just need a longer bridge to connect them the way I want them to be.

I am looking at this thread now, it might have some clues about what to do in different games when you encounter problems with crossfire.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1164844/skyrim-crossfire-iss...
February 4, 2012 7:14:04 PM

Stupid edit button not working properly...
a b B Homebuilt system
February 4, 2012 7:19:12 PM

Have you downloaded all the patches for Skyrim? If not, then go do that first. If you already have the latest patch, then try doing this:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1164844/skyrim-crossfire-iss...

If that doesn't help, recheck to see if you installed ALL the latest drivers. And finally, if those don't work, hope and pray that AMD or Bethesda will release a patch fixing the CF issue
a b B Homebuilt system
February 4, 2012 7:23:42 PM

AtotehZ said:
It seems it was the crossfire... that kinda sucks. How can they not make sure that their games support something so common in the market today? Crossfire and SLI has been around a while.

To make things worse I have an extra card I'll add to the mix, this will make it a 6870 + 6870 x2 setup

Adding that extra card might actually help. saying your 5FPS low is pretty meaningless, but the flickering sounds like it could maybe be microstutter. There's an article on toms about this, adding the third one doesn't have a huge fps boost although it will go up. but it DOES almost eliminate microstutter. Its def worth a shot if you have the cards, and your PSU can take it. You still might want to sell them if you can get a 7970 but I'd definitely try the tri-crossfire if I had the cards. if for nothing else just to experiment
February 4, 2012 8:10:07 PM

Trust me, its not microstutter ;)  i know about the topic and thats the exact reason i bought the extra card. Flickering as in sometimes completely transparent and then reappeared, thats flickering. Stuttering appears by sudden huge changes in fps.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 4, 2012 8:36:25 PM

AtotehZ said:
Trust me, its not microstutter ;)  i know about the topic and thats the exact reason i bought the extra card. Flickering as in sometimes completely transparent and then reappeared, thats flickering. Stuttering appears by sudden huge changes in fps.

Well, then as others have said. Crossfire/SlI have been/always will be a #$%%. LOL. bottom line is it takes more work and tweaks and will always lag behind the single GPUs in driver and game developer support. I don't miss my crossfired 4850s, my 6950 is so much better and just works
February 4, 2012 8:51:38 PM

unksol said:
Well, then as others have said. Crossfire/SlI have been/always will be a #$%%. LOL. bottom line is it takes more work and tweaks and will always lag behind the single GPUs in driver and game developer support. I don't miss my crossfired 4850s, my 6950 is so much better and just works

Did you have tri crossfire? As we apparently both know the 3rd GPU nearly eliminates microstutter. This stabilizes the fps around the peak FPS of 2 GPU's. The troube with drivers will be a bitch yes... I hope they'll do something about it in the games to come.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 4, 2012 9:13:35 PM

just speaking on the driver complications. and games that never support it (crysis was a pain). I never went tri. not sure if I am sensative to micro stutter. maybe i was seeing it in bad company 2. but the single GPU was better for me... but then it was faster then my crossfire setup because I waited. and I will probably get a second and crossfire again when the performance drops and skip a generation. cause that seems like the value way to go. and I am stubborn like that. lol
!