EVGA 560 1gig not performing properly.

derektedders

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Hey guys, new to the forums. I recently purchased a EVGA GTX 560 card from Newegg. I'm currently running Windows 7 with a Q9300 Quad 2.5ghz processor, 4 gigs ddr2 pc 5300 ram, and a single 9800 GTX. I also purchased a Cooler Master Silent Pro 600w PSU to replace my old 450w. I installed the PSU, uninstalled all the current drivers for the 9800, ran driver sweeper in safe mode, installed and seated the GTX 560, and downloaded the appropriate drivers for the card.

Here's the problem. Before the 560, I was running Skyrim on Medium settings at 35-60 frames constant. It was very playable and I hardly noticed any type of frame rate decrease. I installed the GTX 560 and it set my settings for High graphics. Loaded the game, and immediately when I was able to move around I was experiencing frame rates of what seemed to be 5-10 frames constant no matter where I was; big cities or even the smallest caves.

This doesn't make sense to me. I've read a bunch of threads where people immediately blame the loss of performance on CPU bottlenecking. But that just doesn't make sense to me. If the CPU were bottlenecking the GPU, wouldn't it perform AT LEAST as good as the old 9800? I don't understand how a card with more power would make the game run with LESS performance.

Some knowledgeable help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

TRENDING THREADS