Why didn't people leave New Orleans?

I saw one guy on TV saying the reason he didn't leave is because he
didn't have anywhere to go. Anywhere better than the top of an overpass?
They have overpasses in other places than New Orleans. I know this for a
fact. This was an able bodied guy. He could have walked someplace better.
He's an idiot.

Let's not let people like him taint the rest of the people that actually
have a valid excuse for not leaving. The old, the disabled, etc. But, what
I find sad is that the able bodied people that could have left, but chose to
be lazy, are stealing supplies from the people that weren't able to leave.

And, somehow, this is the government's fault?

DaveP

I reckon a lot of people didn't leave because they couldn't imagine just how
devastating the hurricane would be.

"davep" <daveparky@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I reckon a lot of people didn't leave because they couldn't imagine just
>how
> devastating the hurricane would be.

This is very true... they even said on the news today that normally
hurricanes would head toward Louisiana, but always turn into florida, and/or
turn into tropical storms... so these people have never really had a BIG
hurricane come thier way. However, this is no excuse... if they told me on
the news today to evacuate, i would be gone...quickly... taking as many
valuables with me as i could.

>I reckon a lot of people didn't leave because they couldn't imagine just
>how
> devastating the hurricane would be.

Honestly, did ANY of us think it could get to this level?

Mattinglyfan wrote:

> Honestly, did ANY of us think it could get to this level?

Only the people with half a brain. Who would have ever thought a
hurricane could do that, damn you keep making me think you're more
stupid everytime I read one of your stupid posts.

In article <-fSdnZ2dnZ35gFaOnZ2dnU2AhN6dnZ2dRVn-zZ2dnZ0@comcast.com>,
nyyankees@comcast.net says...

>"davep" <daveparky@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>I reckon a lot of people didn't leave because they couldn't imagine just
>>how
>> devastating the hurricane would be.
>
>Honestly, did ANY of us think it could get to this level?

Most of these people live paycheck to paycheck and didn't have the means to
travel. Any large city has a huge population that fall into this catagory
along with the disabled and old. Where the government screwed up is with the
rescue operation or lack thereof. I know of several flight crews who are
trapped in hotels there with no way to get out. If this government can get
food and water on the ground in only 18 hours in Sri Lanka but takes three or
four days to get aid to New Orleans then something is broke in the system.
Here is what Newt Gingrich had to say and I pretty much agree with him.

Gingrich: Appoint Giuliani To Lead

On Friday, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich urged Bush to appoint Rudolph
Giuliani to head relief efforts. Gingrich told The Associated Press that no
one is better prepared for the job than Giuliani, who was mayor of New York on
Sept. 11, 2001.

Gingrich said the pace of the federal disaster response puts into question
Homeland Security and Northern Command planning over the last four years. He
rhetorically asked why the government believes it's prepared for a nuclear or
biological attack when it can't respond to an event that was predicted days in
advance.

"H.I.V. Steve" <hiv_steve@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Mattinglyfan wrote:
>

>> Honestly, did ANY of us think it could get to this level?
>>

> Only the people with half a brain. Who would have ever thought a
> hurricane could do that, damn you keep making me think you're more
> stupid everytime I read one of your stupid posts.

Wipe the sperm from your chin before you speak next time, boy.

Mattinglyfan wrote:
> "davep" <daveparky@nospam.com> wrote in message
>
>>I reckon a lot of people didn't leave because they couldn't imagine just
>>how
>>devastating the hurricane would be.
>

> Honestly, did ANY of us think it could get to this level?

Yes, I've been waiting on something like this to happen for 10 years
now. I'm just surprised it wasn't worse. This was actually predicted by
a few scientists 10-15 years ago.

The sad thing is that it WILL be worse when we have a "bad" hurricane
year and we get 5-6 of those things one after another. And it won't be
the death toll or the damage that causes the greatest problems. It will
be the country going bankrupt.

In article <NamdnbsPr65w1IfeRVn-2A@comcast.com>, nyyankees@comcast.net says...

>"H.I.V. Steve" <hiv_steve@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Mattinglyfan wrote:
>>

>>> Honestly, did ANY of us think it could get to this level?
>>>

>> Only the people with half a brain. Who would have ever thought a
>> hurricane could do that, damn you keep making me think you're more
>> stupid everytime I read one of your stupid posts.
>>

>Wipe the sperm from your chin before you speak next time, boy.

Watch out Matty...that guy has a huge crush on you....and that means stalker
time.

"KillzoneBigNuts2" <bignuts@msn.com> wrote in message
> Mattinglyfan wrote:
>> "davep" <daveparky@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I reckon a lot of people didn't leave because they couldn't imagine just
>>>how
>>>devastating the hurricane would be.
>>

>> Honestly, did ANY of us think it could get to this level?
>

> Yes, I've been waiting on something like this to happen for 10 years now.
> I'm just surprised it wasn't worse. This was actually predicted by a few
> scientists 10-15 years ago.
>
> The sad thing is that it WILL be worse when we have a "bad" hurricane year
> and we get 5-6 of those things one after another. And it won't be the
> death toll or the damage that causes the greatest problems. It will be the
> country going bankrupt.

But scientists have been predicting a giant Tsunami and the Earthquake to
end all quakes and the twister that will hit a major city. You can predict
anything and eventually it will happen. That doesn't mean that people are
ready for it when they say "eventually".

Mattinglyfan wrote:

> Hell yeah. They are probably warning them about dangerous "looters" as we
> speak. "Get out now!" BTW, do they even have Generals in the National
> guard LOL.

LOL, that wasn't funny but I'm going to type LOL anyway like a moron
liar named Matting, LOL.

Mattinglyfan wrote:

> Wipe the sperm from your chin before you speak next time, boy.

Hey you didn't keep your word again. Not like I'd expect a black
person such as yourself to keep his word. That's why the smart
people(white people) don't trust you guys.

beck

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

"Fred Liken" <nothanks@toocoolforschool.com> wrote in message
> I saw one guy on TV saying the reason he didn't leave is because he
> didn't have anywhere to go. Anywhere better than the top of an overpass?
> They have overpasses in other places than New Orleans. I know this for a
> fact. This was an able bodied guy. He could have walked someplace
> better. He's an idiot.
>
> Let's not let people like him taint the rest of the people that
> actually have a valid excuse for not leaving. The old, the disabled, etc.
> But, what I find sad is that the able bodied people that could have left,
> but chose to be lazy, are stealing supplies from the people that weren't
> able to leave.
>
> And, somehow, this is the government's fault?

They never had a hurricane like it before so probably didn't expect it. Its
easy to say with hindsight people should have left but I think most people
would choose to stay if they didn't think the threat was as bad as it was.

In article <3o0t3nF3p1ehU1@individual.net>, my_bulkmail@btopenworld.invalid
says...

>"Fred Liken" <nothanks@toocoolforschool.com> wrote in message
>> I saw one guy on TV saying the reason he didn't leave is because he
>> didn't have anywhere to go. Anywhere better than the top of an overpass?
>> They have overpasses in other places than New Orleans. I know this for a
>> fact. This was an able bodied guy. He could have walked someplace
>> better. He's an idiot.
>>
>> Let's not let people like him taint the rest of the people that
>> actually have a valid excuse for not leaving. The old, the disabled, etc.
>> But, what I find sad is that the able bodied people that could have left,
>> but chose to be lazy, are stealing supplies from the people that weren't
>> able to leave.
>>
>> And, somehow, this is the government's fault?
>
>They never had a hurricane like it before so probably didn't expect it. Its
>easy to say with hindsight people should have left but I think most people
>would choose to stay if they didn't think the threat was as bad as it was.

They just showed a bunch of white folks who are holed up in the French Quarter
that are refusing to leave their houses. Very nice looking places(and above
the water level) so I can see why they don't want to leave. I bet that
National Guard three star general has his eyes on setting up his living
quarters in those mansions.

> Mattinglyfan wrote:
>
>> Hell yeah. They are probably warning them about dangerous "looters" as
>> we
>> speak. "Get out now!" BTW, do they even have Generals in the National
>> guard LOL.
>
> LOL, that wasn't funny but I'm going to type LOL anyway like a moron
> liar named Matting, LOL.

Stalker bitch.

"Fred Liken" <nothanks@toocoolforschool.com> wrote in message
> I saw one guy on TV saying the reason he didn't leave is because he
> didn't have anywhere to go. Anywhere better than the top of an overpass?
> They have overpasses in other places than New Orleans. I know this for a
> fact. This was an able bodied guy. He could have walked someplace
better.
> He's an idiot.

Probably figured since he's been living off the government his whole life,
this wouldn't be any different.

It'll be interesting to see if any of the liberals who blame the Katrina
aftermath on the government will still the want the government to handle
their medical treatment by adopting public health care.

> Let's not let people like him taint the rest of the people that
actually
> have a valid excuse for not leaving. The old, the disabled, etc. But,
what
> I find sad is that the able bodied people that could have left, but chose
> be lazy, are stealing supplies from the people that weren't able to leave.

Lazy? Hell, it takes some serious motivation to carry a big-screen TV down
a street in 4 feet of water, shoot at some National Guard helicopters, and
have enough energy left over to do an interview with a CNN reporter!

> And, somehow, this is the government's fault?

Well yeah, after all George Bush failed to magically fix the levees that
have been neglected for 40+ years; and how do you know that he didn't have
Halliburton create the hurricane outright? You're not suggesting that
people should have followed mandatory evacuation orders, or even walked
across overpasses, are you?

What are you, a libertarian?

Fred Liken wrote:
> "Beck" <my_bulkmail@btopenworld.invalid> wrote in message
> >
> > "Fred Liken" <nothanks@toocoolforschool.com> wrote in message
> >> I saw one guy on TV saying the reason he didn't leave is because he
> >> didn't have anywhere to go. Anywhere better than the top of an overpass?
> >> They have overpasses in other places than New Orleans. I know this for a
> >> fact. This was an able bodied guy. He could have walked someplace
> >> better. He's an idiot.
> >>
> >> Let's not let people like him taint the rest of the people that
> >> actually have a valid excuse for not leaving. The old, the disabled,
> >> etc. But, what I find sad is that the able bodied people that could have
> >> left, but chose to be lazy, are stealing supplies from the people that
> >> weren't able to leave.
> >>
> >> And, somehow, this is the government's fault?
> >
> > They never had a hurricane like it before so probably didn't expect it.
> > Its easy to say with hindsight people should have left but I think most
> > people would choose to stay if they didn't think the threat was as bad as
> > it was.
>
> Then, who's fault is it when they were told to leave, and chose to stay?

What is this "two months warning" you keep talking about?

It never ceases to amaze me how liberals STILL think that the
government is the answer to all of our societal problems, even when
faced with the evidence such as this They ought to be required to
spend the day at a local DMV, or even the Post Office, to see how
"efficient" the government can be on unimportant matters...let alone
matters of life and death.

I'm not blaming the rescue personnel--they are doing the best they can
under difficult conditions. But, thanks to the "entitlement mentality"
that a lot of Americans have developed, their best can never be good
enough. And some of the hurricane victims are even shooting at the
rescuers! If I could speak to those able-bodied survivors in New
Orleans, I'd say this: YOU chose to live in an area below sea level,
prone to hurricanes and in danger of flooding. YOU chose to remain
behind when given ample warnings to leave. YOU chose not to have
adequate supplies of food and water in your houses. YOU didn't buy
insurance. YOU ended up in substandard housing because you didn't
pursue education or get a job. Do I feel sorry for you and have
compassion for your suffering? Yes. Will I help out financially?
Yes. Am I, George Bush, or the rest of the country, to blame for your
situation? NO.

Get this straight people--government does not owe you anything. It was
not created to provide you with food or with a job or health care, but
to protect your basic freedom so that you can seek those things on your
own (or not). And, yes, I realize that government also has a duty to
protect its citizens, but that doesn't mean you can't protect yourself.
In the area where I live, the average police response time is 10-15
minutes. That's apparently better than the national average, but 10-15
minutes is a l-o-n-g time if you are inside your house with someone
intent on doing you harm. So, I consider the police my second line of
defense. My first line? A good burglar alarm and an accurate Sig
Sauer handgun.

The government is a necessary evil, nothing more. It should only be
involved with enterprises that cannot be supported by the free market
(such as the military, land preservation, or highway infrastructure).
Otherwise, it should butt out. Sometimes it seems like it can help,
but that is only because it is re-allocating the hard-earned money of
industrious people. Most of the time it makes problems worse.

>I reckon a lot of people didn't leave because they couldn't imagine just
>how
> devastating the hurricane would be.

They were told.

"Mattinglyfan" <nyyankees@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "davep" <daveparky@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>I reckon a lot of people didn't leave because they couldn't imagine just
>>how
>> devastating the hurricane would be.
>
> Honestly, did ANY of us think it could get to this level?

Yes, it was documented well before the fact that a hurricane to hit
Louisiana would have this effect.

> Wipe the sperm from your chin before you speak next time, boy.

Why do you keep responding to him? You can't win anything against someone
with nothing to lose, you know?

"KillzoneBigNuts2" <bignuts@msn.com> wrote in message

> The sad thing is that it WILL be worse when we have a "bad" hurricane year
> and we get 5-6 of those things one after another. And it won't be the
> death toll or the damage that causes the greatest problems. It will be the
> country going bankrupt.

Hardly.

"Beck" <my_bulkmail@btopenworld.invalid> wrote in message

> "Fred Liken" <nothanks@toocoolforschool.com> wrote in message
>> I saw one guy on TV saying the reason he didn't leave is because he
>> didn't have anywhere to go. Anywhere better than the top of an overpass?
>> They have overpasses in other places than New Orleans. I know this for a
>> fact. This was an able bodied guy. He could have walked someplace
>> better. He's an idiot.
>>
>> Let's not let people like him taint the rest of the people that
>> actually have a valid excuse for not leaving. The old, the disabled,
>> etc. But, what I find sad is that the able bodied people that could have
>> left, but chose to be lazy, are stealing supplies from the people that
>> weren't able to leave.
>>
>> And, somehow, this is the government's fault?
>
> They never had a hurricane like it before so probably didn't expect it.
> Its easy to say with hindsight people should have left but I think most
> people would choose to stay if they didn't think the threat was as bad as
> it was.

Then, who's fault is it when they were told to leave, and chose to stay?

People really thought that Hurricane Katrina wouldn't be too bad BUT
when they saw how destructive it was, well, by then it was too late to
leave.

TRENDING THREADS