Sign in with
Your question
Closed

ICS on Win 7 Home Premium Netbook

Last response: in Networking
February 15, 2011 8:38:16 PM

I was wondering if internet connection sharing was made impossible by Microsoft on netbooks even after an Anytime Upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium. This is because whenever I create an Ad-Hoc network on my netbook I am unable to turn on Internet Connection Sharing. Though my friend with a Toshiba notebook running Home Premium is able to turn on Internet Connection Sharing.

Best solution

February 16, 2011 3:19:38 AM

Quote:
I was wondering if internet connection sharing was made impossible by Microsoft on netbooks even after an Anytime Upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium. This is because whenever I create an Ad-Hoc network on my netbook I am unable to turn on Internet Connection Sharing. Though my friend with a Toshiba notebook running Home Premium is able to turn on Internet Connection Sharing.

Windows 7 Home Starter Limitations: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7inst....

My impression though is that you should be able to use ICS. However, if your using HomeGroup, you can join only.

This may help, something to do with shortcut not working but you can work around it: http://www.withinwindows.com/2009/12/02/windows-7-start....

Where did you buy the netbook? You can typically get Home premium Anytime upgrade at a discount when you bundle it with a netbook purchase at most retail stores. (eg Best Buy does it).
February 16, 2011 4:28:04 PM

It isn't that I am unable to join or create an Ad-Hoc network. It is that once I do make one I am unable to enable internet connection sharing for that network.
Related resources
February 22, 2011 10:58:34 PM

Anyone plan on helping?
February 22, 2011 11:20:53 PM

You might have better luck posting in the Networking forum or the Windows 7 forum.

Perhaps the person with your answers is hanging out there.
February 22, 2011 11:26:58 PM

This topic has been moved from the section Systems to section Networking by Tecmo34
March 2, 2011 8:17:36 PM

Best answer selected by cascan07454.
January 27, 2012 10:23:10 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!