Unclean boot

Dick-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
Hello,
Hi-Had a MO fail,and would like to use the pld drive,which has a lot of stuff I would like to keep- It was a Shuttle AV49. new one,to me ,is a Gigsbyte 81pe1000. Comes up and wants to boot,but would think it is looking for the right start-up codes. Have the drivers for the new board on a cd,but see no way to install them till it boots up.Would using the XP disc,as a repair disc work ??TKA,jerry

Drivers are installed during the Windows install process that make Windows work with a specific motherboard.

If you change out the motherboard, it is usually the case that you must also reinstall Windows unless the motherboards are of the exact same maker and model line.

Most likely, it will get a blue screen of death every time the computer is turned on if the motherboard was changed out with a different kind.

Does this sound like what you are experiencing?

If you try to use a repair disk, it might work, or you might lose data.

If you would like to be 100% sure not to lose data, you should get a second drive of the same size as the first one, unplug the first drive and plug in the second one, install an OS on it, shutdown the computer and plug in the original drive, and copy the raw data from the original drive to the new one. A free OS like Ubuntu can be used to copy the data over.

Then disconnect the new drive and only then worry about trying to make the first one work with things like repair disks.

have you tried safemode? might work. windows doesnt load specific motherboard drivers on install, just generic ones. you load the real ones after the install. but once they are installed they can cause issues with another board. if you are still on XP (I beg of you get windows 7) you can use ultimate boot CD for windows if safemode does not work. and remove the motherboard drivers. you can also try installing the new board drives but would likely require very specific registry updates. the better option is to back up the data (the drive does not need to be the same size and depends on image compression as well) and reinstall XP over the old one. You wont lose all the data and can.move back what you do.

The BEST option is a clean install. and XP needs one every now and then anyway.

Dick-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012

Right- May have to do that yet. This is a linux box ,that was my ham machine at one time. I was trying to get the logging off of it . Guess I did. Haven't tried to re-load the logs yet. Read about an un-clean install,and some said it worked for them. Think i did all that was said to do. Un-install the old drivers and shut down ,with-out rebooting . Tries to load win Xp,then goes to re-boot ,all over again. never a BSD!!I/m close,but not there. May use my Win 7 ,that is not being used anywhere and try that. For what I do,Xp does it all. This is the 4th Shuttle board that has crapped on me- AV49 --Work good when the work. i got an older Gigabyte that will run my older hard-ware,so will go with that. I like to try things and solve the puzzles HI- Jerry ------Yes.I tried safe-mode and also Xp repair- Neither worked /!@!