Sign in with
Your question

Best AMD CPU for multitasking..?

Last response: in CPUs
May 20, 2012 4:35:05 PM

Well guys, which is the best AMD cpu for multitasking, rendering, editing etc.. not gaming. Currently trying to upgrade from a core2duo ...

Thanks!

More about : amd cpu multitasking

a c 159 à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 20, 2012 4:57:54 PM

Look for a used core2 quad on craigslist or anandtech if your board supports it. I've found some for around $100, such as the q9300. This will save you from having to change boards.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 20, 2012 5:10:36 PM

what about AMD PHENOM ll x6 1100t??
May 20, 2012 5:17:51 PM

Thanks guys. But would like something newer and a cheaper than the fx 8xxx series...

Performance wise and in seeing a difference, how would the fx 4100 be? Or do u guys have any other reccomendations.

I just need something notably better in performance than the core 2 duo 2.13ghz and cheap... Intel is expensive lol
May 20, 2012 5:26:43 PM

And dont the phenoms consume more power/louder than the fx series?
May 20, 2012 5:27:13 PM

You could pick up one of the Phenom II X4 processors. The FX 4100 really isn't a great chip. The Bulldozer architecture only makes sense when you get to high core counts.
May 20, 2012 5:34:46 PM

Isnt the phenom II series becoming old ... Lol. I just want a noticeable increase in performance , nothing TOO big or anything major for gaming.
a b à CPUs
May 20, 2012 6:03:18 PM

The phenom II x4 (lets just say the 955 model so you can save money...you can always overclock it to 970 levels or higher if you wanted) is still a great chip for multitasking. The reason people have suggested you get the latest FX 8xxx series cpu from AMD is because it uses less power. The phenom II x4, while a great chip, uses quite a bit of power and that would hurt you in the long run.

Having said that, because you need to buy a new mobo, the initial cost of buying a phenom II x4 and a corresponding mobo would be much cheaper than buying a new FX 8xxx cpu and its corresponding mobo.

I also would recommend staying away from the FX 4100. You probably won't notice much change from your current core2duo.

Also, if you want the cheapest upgrade past, I agree with o1die that you should just look on eBay or craigslist for a new core2quad chip as you should not have to buy a new mobo and its also great for multitasking. I would recommend the q8300 or higher (not the q6600).
May 20, 2012 6:10:05 PM

Soulja786 said:
Thanks guys. But would like something newer and a cheaper than the fx 8xxx series...

Performance wise and in seeing a difference, how would the fx 4100 be? Or do u guys have any other reccomendations.

I just need something notably better in performance than the core 2 duo 2.13ghz and cheap... Intel is expensive lol

The FX series are the newest cpus from AMD. For the uses you describe the best choice would be either the fx-8120 or fx-8150. The fx-8120 is now $160 which is a pretty good price. It depends what your budget is but, for the uses you describe the greater the number of cores the better, the fx-6100 will be better performance wise than the 4100. The 6100 is about $20 more than the 4100.
a b à CPUs
May 20, 2012 6:21:12 PM

Soulja786 said:
Isnt the phenom II series becoming old ... Lol. I just want a noticeable increase in performance , nothing TOO big or anything major for gaming.

Phenom II's are faster core-for-core than Bulldozer. If you must go with AMD, a Thuban X6 is probably the best choice. The 8120/8150 might be faster if all eight cores are actually getting used evenly, which would be pretty rare.

Of course, I'd be doing you a disservice not to ask why you're only considering AMD processors. If its a price thing, an i5 is faster, cheaper and cooler than either FX 8xxx chip, multitasking or not.
May 20, 2012 7:13:52 PM

How about the 4170 guys? Im a bit sceptical of the phenom II series due to high power consumption ... ?
a b à CPUs
May 20, 2012 7:20:57 PM

Hi :) 

I run 1100Ts ....the best amd cpu you can run.....hard to find though...

All the best Brett :) 
May 20, 2012 7:23:42 PM

Reason I don't want to go for intels is because of the price :/ 
a c 159 à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 20, 2012 9:00:17 PM

IF you can wait, you could place some bids on ebay such as this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-2-Quad-Q9300-2-5-GHz.... Newegg has the 955 bare oem for $104 and one asrock ddr2 board left for $58 shipped. With the heatsink, you'd be looking at around $175, about the same as some quad core Intels.
May 20, 2012 9:03:41 PM

Hi, im in the uk so cant bid on us items. I have a ddr2 mobo right now so i want to upgrade mobo and cpu
a b à CPUs
May 20, 2012 9:09:48 PM

Soulja786 said:
Hi, im in the uk so cant bid on us items. I have a ddr2 mobo right now so i want to upgrade mobo and cpu

I am UK as well...find an 1100T you wont regret it, it beats all i3s, most i5s and in some tasks even some i7s...

I have them in all my personal gaming and some business machines..never regretted it...

May 20, 2012 9:11:00 PM

Hmm so would u reccomend the intel quad core youve shown in that listing? I dont think we have craigslist in the uk
May 20, 2012 9:12:20 PM

Brett928S2 said:

I am UK as well...find an 1100T you wont regret it, it beats all i3s, most i5s and in some tasks even some i7s...

I have them in all my personal gaming and some business machines..never regretted it...

Hi,

Cant seem to find that processor ... Is it expensive?
a b à CPUs
May 20, 2012 9:18:47 PM

Brett928S2 said:

don't lie friend, where i can't see that 1100t beating i5 2500k
1100t is only a bit better in 3d modeling by only 4fps.
i5 is much much better than 1100t

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/203?vs=288
a b à CPUs
May 20, 2012 9:24:53 PM

Soulja786 said:
Hi,

Cant seem to find that processor ... Is it expensive?

no, it's not expensive, BTW if you takes my advice then get 2500k it is alot better option can overclock too much very good in multi tasking.
a b à CPUs
May 20, 2012 10:00:45 PM

xtreme5 said:
don't lie friend, where i can't see that 1100t beating i5 2500k
1100t is only a bit better in 3d modeling by only 4fps.
i5 is much much better than 1100t

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/203?vs=288

I "own" A COMPUTER COMPANY with shops, we SELL custom built machines...I KNOW what I am talking about, and if you believe everything you read in so called benchmarks, then I have a bridge in LONDON to sell you...lol

May 20, 2012 10:14:19 PM

Phenom 1100t would be a great choice
a b à CPUs
May 20, 2012 10:44:49 PM

Brett928S2 said:

I "own" A COMPUTER COMPANY with shops, we SELL custom built machines...I KNOW what I am talking about, and if you believe everything you read in so called benchmarks, then I have a bridge in LONDON to sell you...lol

haha nice joke! :D 
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2012 1:39:50 AM

Brett928S2 said:

Anandtech is one of the reputable tech review sites around.

This is precisely the kind of nonsense that makes Tom's Hardware's forums a terrible place to ask for help. If you refuse to look at objective data to help you form a conclusion, what precisely are you going on? Blind faith?

That you own a PC shop means precisely nothing to me; PC resellers are the last people on the planet I'd trust for impartial facts on hardware performance.
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2012 1:54:43 AM

oxiide said:
Anandtech is one of the reputable tech review sites around.

This is precisely the kind of nonsense that makes Tom's Hardware's forums a terrible place to ask for help. If you refuse to look at objective data to help you form a conclusion, what precisely are you going on? Blind faith?

That you own a PC shop means precisely nothing to me; PC resellers are the last people on the planet I'd trust for impartial facts on hardware performance.

So you would rather ask an amateur who reads a few benchies than a pro who builds and sells machines ??

I am not biased, I sell ANYTHING that makes me a profit.....the GOOD stuff makes me more money than the BAD stuff....easy really...

I am ancient and have built and sold computers since way before you were born.....you dont want my advice fine.....but dont put others off taking it for no logical reason apart from your personal bias....

Have you ever seen a totally independent Benchmark ...I havent.....ALL those sites make money from manufacturers in one way or other...

My advice IS independent as I NEVER advertise ANY of my computer companies here, and do this out of goodwil and trying to help those without my experience...

!