Random freezes

Mcpepsii

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Hey, I recently built my own gaming rig and it worked fine the first couple of days, but recently i have been getting random black screen freezes ingame and i can't close it, however my PC is still on and i am still connected to the internet (I can still talk to somone on skype while my screen is frozen). I am thinking that it could have somthing to do with my video card, the 5970. Its stock core clock is 725 and its memory clock is 1000, However i recently wanted more performance out of it since i wasnt getting such great fps in games such as Brink, GTA IV, and A.V.A so i tried overclocking it to 820 core clock and 1120 memory clock. I also increased the turbo boost of my CPU but i dont think that has anything to do with this issue. I was thinking it may be somthing to do with voltage or fan speed considering when i overclocked it, i didnt change the voltage/fanspeed. I dont think it has to do with my temperature however considering its staying at a max of 70c while gaming and a minimum of 30c idle.

also: I also would like to know if there was any way to get more performance out of this card, this card is a monster and it doesnt feel right getting low fps on GTA IV maxed out on a small 17in monitor (1336x1080p)

System specs:
Intel core i5 2500k
8gb PNY 1333mhz DDR3
Diamond 5970 HD GPU
Corsair 750w power supply
asRock p67 extreme6 mobo