Sign in with
Your question

Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z VS. ASUS P8H67 -M PRO Crossfire

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 6, 2011 12:14:32 AM

Hello All,

I have reached quite a dilemma. Up until last weekend i was running the following. Asus P8H67 -M Pro with Core i5 2400, 8GB Gskil sniper @ 1333Mhz, and a single Asus HD 6850. There are other components in the rig but none that pertain to this issue. I got it in my head that i "needed" an upgrade...... So I bought the Asus ROG Maximus IV Gene -Z and , a week later, another Asus HD 6850. In the time between getting the Gene-z and the second 6850, i was convinced that i had made a GREAT decision. Fast forward a week, Just installed the second 6850 in crossfire, booted to the uefi, go to GPU post and see that the cards are running @ 8x mode. I double check everything and it is all kosher. Reboot the system and get the same results. I did a little digging and noticed something that i didnt a week ago. The Gene -Z specs say "2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8)
" While the P8H67 -M PRO specs read "1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (blue) 1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 mode, black)"..... My questions are as follows: 1. Between the two above systemboards, what one is better overall and why? 2. Will the P8H67 preform better using crossfire, ie will i notice a difference and will it run at 16x+16x? 3. Why would Asus produce a gaming board that only supports 8x + 8x when the "pro" , much cheaper, board would appear to support a higher PCIe Bandwidth? Most importantly #4. Should i send the Gene -Z back and hook everything back up to the P8H75 -m Pro??!!?
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
December 6, 2011 1:00:57 AM

No, keep the x8 x8 board. The x16 x4 board will actually provide slower framerate. The HD 6850 will not exceed the bandwidth available to the x8 slots. In fact, won't even come close. But it will exceed the bandwidth of the x4 slot. And in doing so, will slow down the card in the x16 slot. Not to mention some other issues that cause problems. I had a Biostar board with x16 x4 slots. Compared to a single card @ x16, some games only showed a tiny increase in framerate. Most actually showed a decrease! You made the right choice.
m
l
December 6, 2011 7:07:04 PM

Thanks Clutch,

You made me feel alot better after reading that. I only have a new questions for ya.

Would it be worth scrapping the Gene-z for a board that has 2 16X slots? More for the future...

Also, why the heck does skyrim run like Garbage when any ATI CCC 3d enhancements are turned on but not when they are turned on via skyrim settings. This only happens in crosfire mode. When in single mode, i can take Anti alias and AA to any settings and have expected lag BUT when in crossfire the game is unplayable? By that logic, when i have a single card and i turn the skyrim Anti alias and AA to 4x and 4x, it lags and is glitchy. When in crossfire mode i can take it to 16x and 8x and see minimal lag. Using my own deductive skills i can attribute this to the way skyrim is programmed, or maybe crappy ATI drivers/software. Any Ideas?
m
l
Related resources
December 6, 2011 7:09:33 PM

Another idea, maybe its CPU bottlenecking due to lackluster i5 2400.....?
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
December 6, 2011 7:55:13 PM

This is getting a bit out of my field of expertise, as they say.
However, the i5 is definitly not the problem, in my opinion.
I am a little confused, tho. You mention AA and Anti Aliasing as seperate settings... they're the same thing. You may be refering to AF (anisotropic filtering) which is texture fidelity as distance increases. AA of course, is removing the jaggies. AF should be no problem increasing to the max/near max with your system; it doesn't present that much stress on the card(s). AA, on the otherhand, will cause your card(s) to take a big hit as you increase it. And, not being a fan of that genre, I'm not familiar with Skyrim, I'm afraid.

If you are having a problem increasing AA without losing framerate, alot depends on the resolution you are gaming at. Also, the AA mode you are using makes a large difference. This article in Tom's explains a lot of what you may have questions on. It is part 2 of a 2 part article.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/anti-aliasing-perfo...
m
l
!