Formating a partition that held Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

hubbs_67

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Hello,

I re-installed Windows 7 on a fresh partition this morning after I started experiencing some glitches. Got the new partition up and running with a fresh version of Win 7, but now I'm unable to delete / format the previous partition it was on. When I select format drive, after warning me all files will be lost, it says Windows is unable to complete the format. If I try and manually delete all the files, it tells me I need permission from "Trusted Installer" to make changes to certain folders.

I'd appreciate any help on this that someone could offer, just looking to wipe the old partition clean.

Solution
Agreed. Just do a reinstall of Windows and delete all the partitions during that step and start over. During that step of the install, you should be able to select the partitions with your mouse and hit the big red X. Make sure all are gone before proceeding.

Personally, I always use a Gparted bootable CD to format and partition my drives.

blacksci

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
Why would he need to slave it to another computer to use a tool he has on the os right now? Ive used disk management plenty of times and wiped partitions that were on the same hd as the os with no problems.

hubbs_67

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Even though I installed a new copy of Windows on my F drive, Disk Management still says that my old C drive is System, Primary Partition, and my F drive is only listed as a boot drive. Disk Management still won't let me wipe my C drive either. Is there any way around this other than wiping my entire hard drive?

hubbs_67

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
C drive is still listed as my primary system partition, and my F drive is listed as a logical boot partition - it won't let me format either drive, it says it's unable to format a system or boot drive.... I guess I should have just wiped the whole thing, I've done that before and never had any problems.

tlmck

Distinguished
Agreed. Just do a reinstall of Windows and delete all the partitions during that step and start over. During that step of the install, you should be able to select the partitions with your mouse and hit the big red X. Make sure all are gone before proceeding.

Personally, I always use a Gparted bootable CD to format and partition my drives.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.